ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeff, what you say is very clear, because that's what everyone who is against says.

What I say, and others, is why not? Seriously, why not? Unless you believe that everything is fine in the hobby and nothing needs to change.

WU8Y likes this.
  2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, then would you agree that it would not be right for the FCC to assign new privileges to generals as well? When 630M and 2200M were added to general privileges a few months ago, did that lower the standards for the general license? After all, here are expanded privileges that generals didn't have to do anything to get, except be licensed at the time.

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably because many of us realize that Technicians already have HF privileges and if they want more all they have to do is take a 35 question test and then they have LOTS of privileges. If they aren't already using the privileges they have, why give them more? Technicians are not clamoring for more HF privileges, only the ARRL is doing so. We can all agree to disagree and do it in a civil manner as we are doing. Healthy debate is good. Your side is trying to convince my side and vice versa. In the end, it's up to the FCC.

KK5R likes this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it didn't as Generals already had access to all HF bands and these are new HF bands.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. K7JEM

Most people that show up at my classes are encouraged to attend by some friend or relative. Most have only a small understanding of what ham radio is, although they have some interest in radio. But almost all do not understand the difference in frequencies and propagation. Sometimes it comes as a surprise to them that they just can't get on ham radio at any hour of the day and talk with a friend 2000 miles away.

KK5R and KQ6XA like this.
  6. K7JEM

But they are new allocations to general privileges in places where generals did not have access before. Techs have some HF privileges too, would it be wrong to assign these new bands to techs as well? And these are not HF bands, anyway. And they have severe power restrictions. So maybe ideal for techs.

N2EY likes this.
  7. KB6E

You realize that everybody knows that, right? Come on, voice on 10 meters... really?

WU8Y likes this.
  8. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Poor example.
    If any Generals have a 630 meter or 2200 meter button on their current rig let me know.

I don't know too many hams that have 3,609 feet to string up a 1/2 wave dipole.

9. KI7QVR

KI7QVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This may be off-topic but the reason the test questions are published is due to FOIA. Did you know the question pool for the FAA written exam is available as well? I'm a pilot. The red "Gleim" book has all the questions. This is probably true for any other certification/licensed that are sanctioned/regulated by the federal government. Not saying whether it's right or wrong, just that it is.
    I think others have tried to make this point but it doesn't seem to stick. Let's be honest; 10m is useless right now. I don't want to hear about "contests" and all of that garbage. The last thing you want is for a newly licensed operator, with no experience, to spend his first HF phone time trying to "contest". Every contest has different exchanges and rules. And I don't want to hear about how 10m will improve when the sunspot cycle improves. Expecting Technicians to wait for 7 years to be able to use 10m is just nonsensical and not worth discussing. Finally, I know, there is anecdotal "evidence" that "there are plenty of contacts to be made on 10m". Sure, if you're running 1500 watts and have a beam up on a tower. Most newly licensed Techs will be starting with a simple dipole, as they should. I was a Tech and I never heard one voice on 10m. It was all I had for a while so don't suggest I didn't try.

My suggestion is, take the bandwidth they now have on 10m and move it to 20m. Problem solved. They will likely only be able to operate during daylight hours, (with exceptions of course) but they'll at least get a taste of HF. Only then will they have the desire to upgrade. Giving them a "token" piece of useless real estate is pointless and I don't know why the FCC did it in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    WU8Y likes this.
  10. KB6E

Now that you mention that... I had that reaction from two friends who could be interested.

"So, if I get the license, I can talk all over the world?", like they've seen me doing.

"Ahh... no. Unless you have an IRLP repeater around." I told them what the IRLP repeater is.

"Ok..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.