ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say the vast majority of the public born since 1990 haven't a clue about CB or amateur radio. Not only might they lump the two together, they have never heard of either one or at least have no idea what they are (were), and couldn't care less.

Previous generations who were of age during the CB craze of the 70s and early 80s most likely have at least a faint recollection but think that 'ham radio' and 'CB' are just two terms for the same thing, evoking the image of the pudgy guy wearing the baseball cap talking into a handy PTT coiled cord mic. Those of us dating back far enough to remember amateur radio before the general public's discovery of CB are pretty much of the Korea-Vietnam era, now at retirement age or older.

The current generation who are aware of ham radio at all most likely relate it to the Emcomm crowd, while relating world-wide communications to the internet.

Not an unreasonable conclusion for those who listen to some of the conversations on 160-80-40m. This includes AM.

Who needs something as arcane as 'ham radio' when you have the internet?

WU8Y likes this.
  2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don, to your point about outsiders relating "ham radio" to "the Emcomm crowd:"

When the political body of the ARRL a couple of years ago decided to downplay what had been the League's push for "emcomm," I saw it as a sign reality had set in. The glory days remain in the past for any significant role covering for disrupted communications. So I doubt the general public ever got any added visibility for the hobby as a result of that most recent push. There's still a vague sense that we show up during disasters, but that's about it.

On the other hand, the regulatory changes that now permit "hospital hams" to take part in preparedness exercises while getting paid by their medical facilities was, possibly, beneficial to the infrastructure of emergency communications. But as a recruitment and retention tool? I've never seen any documentation nor surveys of what sort of "growth," if any, was recorded from additional licensees.

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes getting in the way of the professionals already there to handle the situation, even further irritating them by mooching coffee and pizza brought in by volunteers for the aid and comfort of the real first responders.

AG5CK likes this.
  4. WA3VJB

I have witnessed this, some years ago, watching HAMs at a regional flooding disaster, find and belly-up to a support trailer canteen sponsored by the volunteer fire department auxiliary. But a free meal apparently did not work out for another group more recently. I understand some HAMs launched themselves, freelance and uninvited, into Puerto Rico to try to contribute to the situation there. They ended up with inadequate supplies, and had to be taken care of like everyone else. Wonderful image.

"Oh no, not the HAMs!"

And what was that slogan by a leading leisure-time organization? Amateur Radio "When there's nobody else."

K1OIK likes this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you capitalize "ham"?

K1OIK and K4KYV like this.
  6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, on the other hand, when the power goes out, the hams start their generators or use the mobile rig, while all the cell towers are down.
    Many do not have a power backup, so when the power goes off, so does the internet and phone.
    Some locations need generators hauled out to the sites, but the companies have cut the employee count to the bone.
    We had ONE person on call last storm (Friday) to cover a LARGE area.
    Poles down, fog outages (fiber on ground), power outages needing a generator taken out to a site, etc.
    Maximize profit is what its about, not keeping the service up.
    No one wants govt regulation so get your backup power systems in shape.

I need to get a good deep cycle battery for the icom 7300 so I can stay on the air.
    I worked a LOT of guys on Generator last weekend, and my power was out about 8 hours.
    In a REAL disaster, you likely will not have communication without a sat phone.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats exactly the point I made previously, Perhaps many of "Them" are the ones that never upgrade , because to them, an Amateur radio license is just another ticket to get punched to get a raise at their real job.

WA3VJB likes this.
  8. WA3VJB

Oh I'm sure of that. Numerically, however, I have not seen how many outsiders became licensees with the intention of limiting themselves to that one function.

One of the reasons I was against the proposal was the lack of crossover between paid hospital staff and "licensed radio hobbyists" who could contribute to hobby full time by participating in other aspects, not just when emergency communications were needed.

Another reason was how hospital industry certifications, which include emergency preparedness standards, could then rely on "HAM radio" as a cheap way to check the box marked redundant infrastructure.

Some of the Comments filed with the FCC on the proposal came from industry favoring such use. There were opposition Comments about blurring the distinction between private radio systems and the Amateur Service.

The proposal was approved.

9. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

:D:D:D:D;)

10. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read all 30 pages of the filing and come to some other conclusions.
    1. It addresses club and other sources of education to address the issues of trying to keep new hams attention.
    This is a major failing of the ham community. Ham cramming
    as its now done in many places is not the answer.
    2. There likely will be additional enforcement issues based on passed and present QRM and intentional interference. Example music player on 3885 for hours at a time.
    CB type carry-on on 40m 7.200.
    3. It takes only three QSOs to fill the 40m 7.28 to 7.3 end of the band with AM and about the same situation on 75m plus propagation effects.
    4. With enforcement being at the level it is, I see only much harder time trying to share these
    segments with more AM and SSB.
    It seems to be missed that this is a technical hobby you just don't get into with no previous background and expect interest to just take off for most.
    As it is, test, pass, here is your ticket. Out the door and they don't know which way to turn.
    Have a problem and they still can't comprehend help offered.
    For example, it's a bit sad when an Extra class has to ask how big a power supply is needed instead of looking in his user manual to see the current drawn at max Tx.
    The petition could work if everyone followed the rules and have respect due each other but today that seems to be to much to ask given the perceived right to attack each other instead of being considerate instead of giving a little.
    Good luck.

WU8Y likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.