ARRL Petition to Expand Technician Privileges

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

During a big contest weekend ( I hate them ), have you ever gone SSB portable ( out in the great wide open ), and tried to find a clear slice of spectrum? ( sticking to just the General spectrum to increase your potential audience ). And then if you found something, have you tried to hold it against the swarm of higher power stations? Of course, opening HF phone to Techs would undoubtedly increase the audience.

Everything is relative, but yes there are times the bands are jammed. Get out of the warm cozy ham shack, and get back to me when you have experienced my favorite world.

G8ADD likes this.
  2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Regular use to bypass another service to avoid fees, using the amateur service to get email at sea when a multitude of options (for a fee) exist. The phone companies used to have fits about phone patches but not amateur radio use in general. Rather surprised some of the amateur activity today isn't being pursued by various ISP's for running email servers in violation of their terms of service. You can't do that from a home account, usually only a business/commercial account, more $$$.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    KK5JY likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going out for some antenna messing before the rain comes back and it gets dark. So I guess that makes me 'back out' :D
    ABANDON-THREAD.gif

4. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But that would require effort

KC7JNJ, K1OIK, KB2SMS and 2 others like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a little practice, you will be able to interleave that activity comfortably with QRZ forum time. :)

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I know. It's been so one or the other lately. Bye now! :cool:

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

We all need to be retested and station inspected. :rolleyes:

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No Bill, for us ole WA2s; it's whistling the "Battle hymn of the Republic".:rolleyes:

N2EY and N7ZAL like this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There could be two extreme outcomes to this:

Will there be a flood of some 400,000 current technicians plus hundreds of thousands of new hams, all trying to cram into that 100 kHz of phone space, to say "five nine", making it unusable? There will be a couple hundred thousand more FT-8 signals collecting "grids"? (That would mean that someone is going to sell perhaps half a million new HF transceivers and a few hundred thousand EFHW antennas. Which means more advertising revenue for ARRL to prop up their pension fund. )

OR

Nobody will care. The current technicians would have upgraded already if they really thought HF was worth the trouble, and all the young people out there that ARRL hopes will "save" the hobby by flooding in if it's made easy enough, just find ham radio uninteresting and unappealing.

NL7W, N1OOQ and K0IDT like this.
  10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you did it, uttered the dreaded "hobby" word.........wait for the love for that one :). I thought dropping the cw requirement was supposed to bring in the flood of new people?
    There is a problem and it's not the tests.......

NL7W, KC7JNJ, KC9VFO and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.