ARRL Petition to Expand Technician Privileges

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

And sailboaters to be able to use Winlink without passing the General Class test. The real reason behind this petition.

One thing for sure, if you General Class ops don't get commenting on this you are going to lose spectrum. You'll be up to your buns in yay-hoos. Talk it up on the air, and tell the ARRL go fly a kite. Just say NO!

NL7W and N2RJ like this.
  2. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

it is about numbers and votes.... the more we are the more we have chance at keeping our freq and hobby... an arrl pres (HD) and I argued about accepting the CB crowd, he was wrong, we need 'em............. to dumb down may be necessary to servive.... Elsie Kay.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why can't they use marine HF frequencies for that? After all, there's an "entry level license" over there, too...

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sailboat bogeyman again. I need to start a count of how many times this is stated.

KC3BZJ, WU8Y, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No. From the petition, emphasis mine:
    Further on:
    The point of the proposal is, despite the Usual Suspects' claims, not to benefit present Technician class licensees, although it will have that effect; the point is to attract new licensees with engagement in all the activities that Amateur radio has to offer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    KC3JTF, KC9VFO, KD0TLS and 1 other person like this.
  6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

^This

K8AI and NL7W like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, this. I am amazed any Techs stick with it given the state of the repeater scene and the lack of VHF SSB activity most of the time.

K8AI likes this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is actually a serious question. How many of these sailboat people are using 40 or 15 meters? I'v never owned a sailboat, but it seems to me that if I did, I would want to use 20 or 30 meters, and possibly 40 at night.

9. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you presented a clear alternative plan which would have the same end effect.

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since nobody seems to be interested in attempting an answer to my question, I'll point out this little gem from Part 97:

47 CFR 97.113 Prohibited transmissions:
    (a) No amateur station shall transmit: ...
    (5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services.

NL7W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.