ARRL Petition to Expand Technician Privileges

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think the FCC even needs to be involved, if the goal is to make it more inviting to become a ham with HF privileges.

As I posted in the other thread, the NCVEC controls the test questions. Those can be modified to result in the General becoming the de facto entry level license by taking two fairly easy tests, and the Extra Class could be made more difficult and cover more technical material as the incentive license. This would result in (mostly) a two tier license structure after some time.

Those who really, really just want the Technician could still do so, such as many of the people now who only want an HT for "emergencies".

I can repost the details if anyone wants me to.

KB3FEI and WU8Y like this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Lively discussions are fine with me.
    But, as I said in an earlier post, comments on this and similar licensing issues inevitably degenerate into ARRL-bashing and name-called.
    Go look at the thread that was locked. ;)

WU8Y likes this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do we keep beating the same drum? Opinions are fixed, nothing will change, and thankfully I've enjoyed the past.

Who really cares anymore?

Can we all whistle Dixie and move on?

Geez. :(

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the digital part of the proposal, and I'm not wild about the phone part of it, but I can live with it. It actually follows the pre-WWII license structure to a considerable extent. 15 meters didn't exist then, but the entry level license then granted privileges on 160, 80, 40 and 10 meters - with phone only on 160 and 10. This proposal replaces 160 with 15 meters, but also grants phone privileges on all the bands. I'm glad to see that they don't want to create yet more subbands in our already chopped up spectrum.

Based on the technical content of the Tech exam, I think the privileges are reasonable. Remember, Techs have a 200 W power limit of HF, so the vast majority will be running 100 watt rigs barefoot.

I don't particularly like the argument that this will increase growth, but it might. Instead, I think it will significantly improve the retention of new amateurs. In most of the country, a Tech ticket really isn't worth a warm bucket of spit unless you use Echolink or a digital voice mode and Internet gateway. Frankly, that's a bit pathetic. Far too many get their Tech ticket, and very quickly lose interest in talking to the same three old timers who monitor the local repeater. We need two meter FM to go back to being the 'local intercom' it used to be when everybody was on HF.

The digital privileges will allow Techs to use a non-voice mode other than CW on HF. This will allow them to learn about propagation and HF operating techniques.

WU8Y likes this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YES.

But i dont think it's a stretch to say tech's should be able to use digital modes in the portions of the bands already allocated to them for CW use. . . .and give them voice privileges on 15m. who cares?

N2EY and WU8Y like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You forgot 20 meters.

The old ABC system (late 1920s until 1951) allowed all frequencies and full power to all licensees. The ONLY difference was that you needed a Class A to operate 'phone on the bands between 2.5 and 25 MHz. Since 40 was all-CW until about 1953, this effectively meant 75 and 20 were Class A only.

It can be argued that the old ABC system wasn't really "entry level/full privileges" as we think of it today. Many hams back then were CW only, either by choice or because 'phone was too expensive. 75 and 20 were much narrower then, almost everyone on voice was running AM, and the QRM was fierce at busy times.

If someone wasn't interested in operating 'phone on 75 and 20, there was NO reason to upgrade to Class A. And most hams did not, even though all it required was one written test.

73 de Jim, N2EY

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are certainly a few people who can't control their impulses to reduce serious discussion to juvenile banter. That shouldn't prevent the rest of us from discussing an issue, particularly one that has so much history behind it.

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's see.... Code Proficiency 0 WPM (from ae7q.com)? Now I understand your post.

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Racist! ;)

K9ALT and N6MEJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.