ARRL OO Notices for JT65 Users

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NN4F, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Both the OO's who appear to not know what they are doing call signs were posted in another thread with copy's of the notices.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

well, we sure know which penguin you are:cool:

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There is another thread where at least two of the OO's are ID'd.

.............Bob

4. NN4F

NN4F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it seems so, I was trying not to pull them under the bus in public, but alas, that is not the case anymore... :(

5. KF6ABU

They were not pulled under a bus. They jumped infront of one, on their own.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I really don't think there is enough information to conclude that. For all we know, they were correct in what they heard. All we've heard is one side of the story. With that said, I don't think it's really worth sending a report over, but maybe they were bored.

Folks these days get all upset when someone points out a problem with their signal. I've heard folks scream bloody murder when informed of bad RF in their audio, compression way too high, mic gain up too much, etc etc, incensed that anyone would suggest their signal is anything other than crispy clean, all the while they sound like a tongue-tied Aborigines speaking in tongues under water.

..............Bob

7. KF6ABU

Sure there is. OO sent a screen shot showing every signal on the band "bad" and used that for his opinion, his proof was the picture he sent. That’s super dumb.
    The op is not mad someone called him out, he's made they apparently have no idea what they are using. Also, the OO manager or whatever tried to spearhead this before it came out, because it sounds like he knows the OO's clearly don't have a proper grasp of what they are critiquing.

8. W4PG

There is no reason to get mad . . . none at all.

In previous years, Uncle Charlie used to actually come down on folks with bad signals, harmonics, etc etc. The OO was *REALLY* doing one a service by notifying them of a problem, lest Uncle Charlie drop by and one had MUCH more explaining to do.

I've done very little JT-65 and cannot speak to the use of the waterfall to assess signals, but certainly that is the case for PSK-31. If that is not appropriate for the software used in JT-65, then it's a pretty simple matter to respond to the OO and explain the situation:

"Thanks for your note of XX-XX-XX. I've reviewed my rig and software and find the audio is set correctly without overdriving, assessed via oscilloscope display of the modulated signal. From your note, it appears you may actually be assessing audio quality based on the width of the waterfall. While this is helpful with PSK signals, the software for JT-65 specifically mentions that waterfall displays should not be used to assess audio quality. Page X of the manual, paragraph X notes that "<insert appropriate text>"

This provides a win-win solution where both the OO and the reported ham educate each other over the proper use, and limitations of, digital modes and software.

It certainly helps much more than everyone getting their panties in a bunch over a trivial matter.

...............Bob

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, Paul, that's what happens when you go public... As you did.

Personally, I think that the OO's in question need to either give it up or agree to remedial training.

...And yes, I end all my contacts with my call, either via CW or the mode in use like RTTY. It may take a second more, but it's worth the effort.

73 Gary

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been guilty of that a few hundred times...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.