ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NA4DX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to pay for those separately.
    I have read many of those reviews, and honestly, there's not much useful there that I can't get from the manual. The lab numbers are the only useful bits, and those are free. I even see PDF reprints of QST ARRL reviews on some vendors' websites, so the League must not place much value in them.
    I did digital-only of QST for many years. The price differential was $0. ;)

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

The reasons why they do not offer a digital only cheaper subscription. PRINT IS EXPENSIVE. And to keep things economical and sustainable they need to have X number of members paying printed magazine memberships.

Print is dying, for the very single reason i put in bold above, print is expensive, postage is expensive and an email and download link costs nothing in comparison. But, and this is the big but, removing print from the equation will not happen because the older generation who need a paper magazine to go to the can are holding organisations hostage.

The print magazine nearly bankrupted the WIA with spiralling costs and and older generation who declared they would cancel memberships if they did not get a paper magazine. Things will change, digital print is how everything is going and even the ARRL will have to face reality eventually and move to 100% digital. But for now its dead tree carcasses. I have not bought a paper book in years, everything i read is digital either on a Kobo ereader for novels or on a Tablet for magazines. A physical magazine or book just seems like a waste of resources to me.

I opted for digital only magazine from the WIA, same membership cost, i never read it anyway, it does not interest me.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KK5JY

I suspect that's particularly true of AR, where at least in the US, a disproportionately large percentage of amateurs are retirement age or nearly so.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rob Sherwood only tests receivers, or receiver sections of transceivers without regard for transmitter performance, ease of use, or anything else; it's not a good comparison.

The League reports are much more comprehensive and they do go the extra mile to report problems and try to get them resolved. Many reviews include, "This function didn't work" or "this measured out of spec," etc., they report that to the manufacturer and usually the manufacturer comes up with a "fix" (hardware or software, sometimes both) they cut into all production units after that date -- thus, improving the product for everyone...all based on the ARRL Lab tests. And they do publish all the goings on and the results.

They also test amplifiers, antennas, accessories, test gear and lots of stuff Sherwood doesn't.

What I'd like to see is "more members" paying "more dues" so they could hire half dozen more engineers and do a LOT more testing than they're capable of today with limited staffing.

N0TZU, WU8Y, KJ4VTH and 3 others like this.
  5. KK5JY

When they cover the majority of functions in the radio/manual, then we can talk about QST reviews and "comprehensive" in the same sentence. Until then...

And in the context of the thread, it's important to point out (again) that many manufacturers reprint QST reviews in PDF form and distribute them for free. I know that the lab guys can't afford to work for free, but apparently even the League doesn't see the reviews as a revenue-related work product. It's more of a service to the community, if anything, and that's their call to make.
    Yes, that's very true. If I'm shopping for a transceiver, that's what I care about. Nearly all gear in the normal-guy price range runs on 13.8V using RF MOSFETs for the transmitter, so the IMD and other transmitter characteristics aren't going to vary enough to outweigh getting the best receiver one can afford. I..M..H..O.. :)
    That would be nice. After ARPA and other such "projects," I'm still waiting to see some meaningful accountability, reform, and member-oriented responsiveness before I "chip in" to that fund. Until there's some member responsiveness, there's no way to make sure that increased membership would allow more funds to be used for such things.

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah the WIA is going though generational change currently and the ARRL will have to also, its probably buffered a little because of the size of the organisation allows for greater buying power. WIA print run is 4000 odd magazines, they just do not have the volume to keep costs down. Something like 50% of membership fees are used to prop up the magazine here. Thats a lot of resources for very little outcome in my view.

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K4AGO

No seems pretty darned detailed to me...

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s naive to suggest the Broadband concept is either dead or died as the result of ARRL’s actions.
    Regardless, at best, the League played only a trivial and inconsequential action in FCC policy.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. K4AGO

I think that is a great idea... Thank you for suggesting it.

A digital only Membership at $149.95 / year should be considered by the ARRL.

The rest of us could suffer through having to read the print and digital versions of the magazine at the current $49.95 price

I like getting the ink on my fingers.
    John
    K4AGO