ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NA4DX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You get QST and access to every QST article ever published, from Vol. 1 No. 1 to the present. QST editions after 2012 are viewable online in digital form. Membership is $49 a year, $95 for two years (save $3) and $140 for three years (save $9).

Let's do some comparison shopping....

CQ charges $39 for a year of the print mag, $27 for a year of the digital version, and $58 for both. CQ actually charges more if you want both print and digital!
    There are multi-year discounts.

Electric Radio charges $36 for a year of the print mag and $47 if you want first class postage. No digital option or multi-year discounts I know of.

In both of the latter cases, all you get is a magazine.

Here's one more selling point for ARRL membership: Product Reviews.

ARRL does the most comprehensive product reviews of ham gear I've ever seen. They buy products "Consumer Reports" style, through ordinary channels, so they don't get a unit that has been cherry-picked for good performance. They run it through the lab, making all sorts of tests, and also use it on the air. The review in the mag is only the high points, there's a lot more detail online.

Some may take issue with how they do certain tests, but the tests are done consistently, and they are extensive. There's also a lot of stuff besides numbers.

The way I see it, if a Product Review prevents someone from making an expensive mistake even once every couple of years, the whole price of membership is justified.

Perhaps the most classic Product Review was the (in)famous Maxcom Matcher antenna (November 1984). This was an antenna kit consisting of a wire dipole with end insulators and ropes and a center "matching box" that promised 1.5 to 1 or better SWR on every amateur band from 160 through 6.

ARRL obtained a 200 watt and 2000 watt version, and discovered that the inside of the box was full of epoxy - and some big power resistors and a toroidal matching transformer. The thing was essentially a dummy load!

The Maxcom came in several versions: 200 watt was $600, 500 watt was $800, 1000 watt was $900 and 2000 watt was $1000. Multiply those numbers by 2.5 to get today's dollars. And that was just the matcher; the dipole kit was extra.

N5PZJ, WA8FOZ, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have been an ARRL member ‘forever’, however, I’ve read similar statements such as this with no specificity mentioned supporting it so I ask the following:

Without using cliches, meaningless jargon or other generic rhetoric, please anyone reading this, list specific accomplishments attributable solely to the League’s action without which our hobby or our privileges would be jeopardized.

There must be some, right?

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Asked the same question once to a live ARRL person. The excuse was it takes the same effort to format QST for online as for printing, and there is no real savings to pass on for an online-only QST. Well, I'm $49 a year richer, and can read a friend's print copy of QST for free if I want.

NK2U, AC8UN and ND6M like this.
  5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You did read my post correct? You cut out all the stuff I listed then just asked the question about what you cut out?!??!

Hold on, is English not your first language?

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember those.
    [​IMG]

WA8FOZ, K4AGO and N2EY like this.
  7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's those views that put people out of work. If it's worth reading, it should be worth paying for.

Wanting everything for free is like having money or being able to work, yet still collecting food stamps. Make everyone else pay for you. I don't agree with that.

KO9Q, WU8Y, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why wait for someone at HQ to pass it on?

Contact your Division Director and Vice Director. Wouldn’t hurt to contact some of the others as well, but definitely those that represent your section.

If enough people do that, they will take notice.

You want change? Go to the top.

9. KK5JY

Right, so like I said, you get a magazine.

Yes, they do a reasonably good job with product reviews. At the very least, they do enough testing to allow tabulation of results by third parties, with reasonable consistency over the years.

Then again, so do other people.

10. KK5JY

How cute. :)
    Yes, because it wasn't true. They do not fight for spectrum defense, and I have the experiences with them to know that to be true. And that was back when I was a paying member.

And that was the only thing you "listed" in the post I was quoting.