ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NA4DX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't get the impression that they passed it on as trivial.

I do believe that eventually magazines etc will be in the history books. The million dollar question is when.

It's been mentioned above that the more readers the more they can get for advertisements. I agree with that. Well if they went by your suggestion, then there would be more members, more readers, so the vendor's would pay more for their adds.

NK2U likes this.
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheaper membership could also mean a surge in new members....that buy T shirts, and Books, and pins, and awards....

N7UJU and NK2U like this.
  3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I get it. He simply thinks that the ARRL is too expensive and wrote to them to tell them to reduce the membership fee.

K4AGO and WU8Y like this.
  4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is true, but would preface that with what we do in business.

Our repeat customers are far more valuable than our one and done customers. While some buy the handbook every year, most will not. While I do not buy the same books over and over, I do own probably 10-12 different ARRL books. (some I got for free though via renewals)

The higher membership renewal would definitely be the better revenue stream. What I would suggest if anything would be to offer membership without QST subscription. I don't mean membership minus QST cost either. It would be membership minus QST cost + $2 (or whatever the actual value is) for lost advertising revenue.

Though to be honest. That too would hurt the hobby since many of us look in QST then go shopping with these companies. That helps the ARRL and their (the retailers) own bottom line. Which means we in the hobby have more options (vendors) to purchase our ham radio goods.

I suppose that's why overall I support leaving it the same. Though I completely get some people definitely have tighter budgets. Especially when people retire and are on a fixed income.

5. NA4DX

NA4DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we're finally getting some great discussion and ideas going here. Let's keep in the forefront that my premise is that in reality, ARRL is missing a market demographic group. While I do understand that some current members "might" choose to opt for the less expensive "online" version over the printed QST membership and thus the ARRL would lose that revenue, I really believe it would be considerably offset by those who would agree with me and join/renew because of that option. This would be new, unrealized revenue to the ARRL...not to mention as some have suggested that these new members might possibly purchase some of those published products as well.

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Take another look at my post ... take note of the: ;)

:)

7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just as an aside...

With many software titles going to the SaaS (Software as a Service) model where you pay an annual (or longer) subscription fee to use the software, I'm sure many of us purchase such software where we pay for the subscription but don't make use of it that often; it's one of those "It's good to have when you need/want it" kinda things. The same could be said about the $49 membership fee and the magazine.

I, too, think a digital-only subscription is a good idea, but the ARRL is a business so it would foolhardy to shoot themselves in the foot to please some and lose income in the process.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Like what?
    They do?

NK2U likes this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My take on this?

I belong ARRL have been a member since I got licensed. I also belong to the “Radio Club of Tacoma” again, ever since I got licensed.

Two radio clubs, two different audiences or mission statements?

Not really. The RCT supports local hams with many things, not the least of which are license classes, newly mentoring, (or Elmering if you prefer). We also have monthly meetings, Saturday get togethers at the club house, just all kinds of neat stuff like that. RCT has a nice presence on line and a really nice monthly newsletter.

ARRL has a nice monthly publication, occasional meetings that we could attend if we can get to the meeting site. They also have a nice on-line presence.

The resemblance between the two clubs mostly stops there. So why support the one over the other?

Simple, one is our national organization that has represented us in Washington DC for many years and will continue to do so.

The other one is our local club. More accessible, more interesting, and a face-to-face presence that is hard to beat.

Both equally deserving of my membership and support.

Our club has yearly dues, as does the ARRL. We too, have an infrastructure to support. I never have a problem supporting my local or national clubs because they serve to t do different things.

If I ever get to the point where I cannot afford to support my clubs, either one of them, I would probably keep on with the local one, if only because I enjoy being a member of that society.

If the statistics are correct, just listed in the latest QST, those of us who enjoy radio the most also support the ARRL. Probably because we know our history and the ARRL’s place in that history. No, they are most assuredly not perfect, but neither are we...

I hate posting from this stupid iPad and it’s autocorrections.