ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NA4DX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are you getting that impression from? The email you quoted clearly states that the suggestion is being passed up to management.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. NA4DX

NA4DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate your thoughts here, but, if that we really true, Google, Twitter, Amazon, eBay, etc, would not be some of the largest revenue producing companies in the world!

N7UJU and NK2U like this.
  3. NA4DX

See my reply to WE6C. Time will tell, if "management" takes the time to respond in a more detailed and constructive manner.

4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to spaz out...just keep walkin....

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

How so? Plenty of digital content providers doing well.

NK2U likes this.
  6. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll sell you QSTs for $2 per issue - only $24 per year.

They will be delivered on the same schedule as CQ magazine.

K8BZ, W4NNF, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you ever been to their Newington, CT headquarters? It's a big facility that employs quite a few people.

Considering the things they do offer and that they do fight (whether you agree with it or not) for our radio spectrum. I think $49 is a respectable price. I mean you get a free print magazine with all the other stuff they do.

N2RJ, N6HCM, N5PZJ and 2 others like this.
  8. NA4DX

The whole point here is that I do NOT want to receive a "printed" copy of QST when it is already made available online. I am, however, willing to pay for all the other benefits...specifically, LOTW award confirmations.

9. NA4DX

No doubt they have a big facility and employ a number of people. That's what it takes in a publishing company. Again, the print magazine is NOT free. This is exactly why the membership subscription is $49 and not $29!

K1SZO likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking objectively:

From their FY17 annual report:
    Revenue from publications $4 million
    Revenue from advertising $2 million ( approx half the content of QST)
    Revenue from dues $6.6 million

Expenditures for publications $3.6 million

Net assets $32.7 million

So ARRL enjoys a $12.6 million revenue stream just from membership, QST and the advertising therein at a cost of $3.8 million equating to a a boatload of profit just from those who pay for the benefit of receiving QST or advertising therein. An overly simplistic assessment but it captures the overall picture so please don't attack the messenger.

Even if ARRL cut dues by half for everyone, QST and their other publications would still realize a profit.

N7UJU, KK5JY, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.