ad: Mircules-1

ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KG4KWW, Jan 15, 2009.

?

Will you be participating??

1. Yes I Will

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. No I Will Not Don't Own VHF SSB Gear

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. No I Will Not, I'm HF Only

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck

Good luck on your rove!

I hope to read some interesting Soapbox comments on the ARRL website next week!

Jim N3AWS

2. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 6 meters on the radio, but no antenna.

3. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I the only one who thought KG4KWW was un-banned and posting again?

Relief :)

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with the VHF tests, in recent years....WHAT OTHER BANDS DO YOU HAVE......Why is this a problem??? Going back to the early 60's I did some serious contesting, and still do, from time to time. More often, in recent years, I like to tune the bands and hand out points even if I will not be turning in a log.

If I listen to you to complete an exchange, and I plan on calling you to give you a new contact, it is not possible to do so if you ask the other station if they have other bands. If the answer is yes, you have left the frequency to go to another band(S) and I have moved on to look for the next station...result, we may never make contact, that is your loss, not mine.

I suggest a better approach would be to set times, during the contest, when activity will be focused on a band, more so as it relates to the bands above 2 mtrs., this would help to cut down on this "do you have any other bands" nonsense. I seem to recall that this has worked in the past.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The "taking the other guy up the bands" process actually results in higher scores, it has been found, than hanging around on the same band waiting for other calls.

Here's why: Once you've peaked your antennas on a station, to take them up the bands for more contacts is quick and effective. The contact multipliers for higher band contacts are enormous. If I work you on, say, six or two meters, that counts for one QSO point. If I hang around waiting for another call, that would be another QSO point.

But if I move the station I just worked up to 222 or 432 MHz, those contacts are worth two QSO points each. If I can move him up to 902 or 1296 MHz, those contacts are worth four QSO points each. If I can move him up to 2304 MHz or higher bands, those contacts are worth 8 QSO points each. If I can work one single station on 10 bands (50 through 10,300 MHz) I get 46 QSO points, and it might take two minutes to do that.

On the other hand, to make 46 QSO points on one VHF band it would take 46 contacts, which cannot possibly occur in two minutes, it would likely take an hour.

WB2WIK/6

6. WB2WIK

Don't know how many there will be by next week, but there should certainly be quite a few within a couple of weeks.

My "rove" was reasonably successful considering most of it was in the middle of absolutely nowhere, to activate grids that have little to no local activity.

Drove 470 miles over the weekend and made 452 unique contacts in I "think" (have to check the log carefully) 78 grid multipliers; the best part was that more than half the total contacts were on bands above 432 MHz, where the "big points" are.

We caught some tropo on Saturday night (close to midnight) when operating from the middle of nowhere in the southwest corner of grid DM06 near the intersection with DM05, CM95 and CM96 (nobody lives around there), working a bunch of rovers in the southeast corner of DM05, a distance of about 120 air miles -- and worked every one of them on 10.3 GHz!

WB2WIK/6

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great assuming the station you just worked on 6 or 2 meters has all those other bands, I suppose you could go to the contest results and
    "sharpen" your math with respect to the number of participants and how many bands they operated, of course that would not include the number of stations that would have given you a contact, but due to their limited participation, or otherwise, did not turn in a log. The number of contacts and points you might make going to other bands may or may not take place, the contact that you just missed, by band hopping, is fact. Bottom line....it's a free country, have fun and do your own thing.

8. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was active on 6 and 2. My first VHF contest and it was a blast. Also my first 2M SSB contact!

I'll definitely try it again. I liked the going to different band and make another contact option.

9. WB2WIK

It depends who you're working and where you're located, of course.

Most real "contest" stations on VHF have several bands. Many of the "casual" stations who aren't really contesters but just happened to be on the air over the weekend don't.

In reviewing my own log from this weekend, "taking stations up the bands" was definitely the best choice, as opposed to sitting and waiting on one frequency for another call.

In some other places, that might not work out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.