ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

In my personal observation the ARRL has done virtually nothing good for the hobby in the past last 25 years, so I voted with my feet and wallet and they will never get another dime of my money to use against me. A malfunctioning ARRL is not better than no ARRL. Just sayin'.

K0PV and W4KVW like this.
  2. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I choose to Support the ARRL. That certainly doesn't mean that I agree with them 100% of the time, but the good they do far far outweighs their mistakes.

Long Live the ARRL!

73 DE W8LV Bill

KI7HSB likes this.
  3. KI7HSB

KI7HSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thank you for the welcoming. I'm happy that I finally did it, but filled with regret for letting life convince me that I had more important things to do for so many moments. I could have learned so much since the days when I was first exposed to the hobby by an old resident in my home town that had been a ham since Marconi I believe...

Of course, I never turned a blind eye to the hobby or the science and have learned a lot as an interested bystander. My first engineering degree was in electronics and I spent several years in the field before moving over to aerospace and another engineering degree in mechanics. Plus always talking with my dear friend who was active all those years helped. I owe my ticket to him really... 2 years ago, he lit a fire under my ass and made me go do it. It only took a few months to go from general to extra thanks to my education in electronics.

Currently, all I have is a simple 2-meter rig, but I'm saving my pennies and spare parts to build my first operational DX station.

NL7W likes this.
  4. K3TX

K3TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's gjve Gallagher some credit. He's (finally) done something nice. Let's have a competition for the most fitting and creative going away present.

Interesting observation: If I wish to be on the ballot for my radio club it's no problem (the requirements are minimal and sensible with no personality involvement. Same for my local school board, same for U.S, House and Senate, etc, etc, - but not for ARRL even though it used to be that way. K3TXZ

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you talking about? :confused:
    If board members FEEL that they are not free to discuss certain issues with out repercussions, then,.... that "pressure" is coming from WITHIN the organization itself!!!

Physician heal thy self

W0FS likes this.
  6. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

The sooner the ARRL folds up their tents & goes away the better.Ever wonder why they never discuss the number of members vs the number of licensed amateur operators in the USA? It's because it's in the 20% or so & getting lower numbers every day & it's because the members get a bunch of nothing for their membership dollars & have for years.It's now a lost cause & I have no intentions of ever giving them another red cent for any purpose.If they are the voice of Amateur Radio Operators in the United States then we are voiceless.It is broke far beyond repair with their silly agendas & all they do is make suggestions anyway since they have ZERO power or authority.When they are gone I see a lot more vendor tables at HAMCATION & other Hamfest where the ARRL once took up far more room than they ever earned or needed.I for one will NOT miss them or their High & Mighty Horses that they sit on.

Clayton
    W4KVW

K0PV and N2SUB like this.
  7. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been making that argument and supporting it with the ARRLs own documentation for the better part of a year. For a good while it got me flamed by the ARRL apologists. Nobody really seems to respond anymore. It's an inconvenient truth that they don't speak for us all. Geez, I'm probably going to get in trouble for posting that.

K0PV and W4KVW like this.
  8. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Respectfully submitted, is not there a difference between being a volunteer and being elected. Just saying.

9. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

I just do not understand why it takes TWO WEEKS to release the minutes of the January BoD meeting. I know that all the Directors "must" review the draft, but TWO WEEKS. So much for all this new "transparency".

10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past it has taken longer in some cases, like 6 weeks. It gives them time to "edit" things so the raw information doesn't get out to members.....they've slipped before and been busted on that .

N2SUB likes this.