ad: HamHats-1

ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I've gotten several recently with offers of free books to rejoin but they quickly went into the round file.

73 & GUD DX,
    Thomas F. Giella, W4HM
    Lakeland, FL, USA

http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/spaceweather
    https://www.facebook.com/thomasfranklingiellaw4hm

KA2FIR and N2SUB like this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it entirely practical to turn off the FT8 autosequence and work DX manually. I did that to work ZC4A on 160 for a new one on that band. And again this morning to work VK1MA--my first VK1 of the year. But, yeah, autosequence is nice when running Europeans and sorting through my paperwork in preparation for filing taxes.

Zak W1VT

4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

N2SUB can take care of himself but if I'm a voting member in an organization I think I should have the right to know about a personnel matter that
    may affect the way I vote. If you're not an informed voter why vote?

KI7HSB likes this.
  5. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly stopped sending money to the ARRL for their lousy magazine and pretense to do much good for us. I read that they are not paid all that well; wanna bet? They get more than they are worth.

KA2FIR and ND6M like this.
  6. WH7WP

WH7WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Until Tom Gallagher is ousted the ARRL will not see the first Dime from me and I will be counselling new Hams, where ever I go, to Not Join ARRL Until Gallagher And Others Are Gone.

K5WW likes this.
  7. WA1VAB

WA1VAB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Steven.

The ARRL needs to adopt real priorities:
    1. Address what is important to the shrinking MEMBERSHIP, which is not at 150,000.
      1. Focus on a outreach to youth, though a revised Novice license like the '50's.
      2. Expand membership and save the hobby for future generations.
      3. Reach out to the current, aging membership, we are a wealth of information.
    I have read all 17 pages of the 2019 first ANNUAL ARRL Directors meeting, it appears to be all about "themselves". I suggest you all read it, it's pretty tough to get through all 17 pages.

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Added to above: 4. Target "on the air" activities for Technician class licenses especially the "shack on a belt" new folks.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

All this whining and moaning about events that are beyond control.:rolleyes:

The fate of Amateur radio is pretty much sealed.

Like it or not, AR is going the way of the Stanley Steamer and will soon just be a footnote in some history book.

Go ahead, flame me, but,.........

10. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gallagher resigned a month ago.

12. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

With regard to number 3 above:

In my opinion the ARRL does not want to hear from the aging population of ham radio operators who are indeed a wealth of information. The fact that this group is a wealth of information is exactly why they don't want them to be heard. Because they know when the leadership is heading in the wrong direction and can point out their missteps better than the league can justify them. There is a link to the best example of the leagues bad decisions in post 235 regarding the push for wideband digital for Pactor IV. The "wealth of information" gang knows that the leagues instances on Pactor IV is for reasons other than their claim that is is necessary to do a decent job responding to communications emergencies. The league continues to bemoan that the "Force of 50" (it was actually 22) was precluded from using Pactor IV in the hurricane response in Puerto Rico. When in fact, they petitioned the FCC for a waiver that would allow the use of Pactor IV and it was immediately granted, but they still did not use it.

In the leagues response to the FCC request for comment on the 2017 hurricane season the league said, “Equipment dispatched with the “Force of 50” to Puerto Rico included data transmission equipment capable of PACTOR 4 operation, but it could not be legally used in the Hurricane Maria disaster relief effort.” And later in the same posting to the FCC they said, “ARRL filed a request for a temporary waiver to permit amateur data transmissions at a higher symbol rate than currently is permitted by Section 97.307(f) of the Commission’s rules, in order to facilitate hurricane relief communications between the continental United States and Puerto Rico. The Mobility Division of the Wireless Bureau quickly granted this waiver which greatly facilitated the disaster relief communications in Puerto Rico provided by Amateur Radio operators.”

For the entire posting see:
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10122279117760/2018 January FINAL Comments PS Docket 17-344.pdf

If you doubt that the waiver authorized the use of Pactor IV then see the actual waiver at:
    https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-974A1.pdf

Was the ARRL at best misleading; or at worst blatantly lying? Judge for yourself

I honestly believe this all ties in together with the BOD wanting get the ability to stack the deck with the board members and additional voting members to guarantee the furthering of their agenda. What does the league stand to gain by a change in the rules allowing Pactor IV on HF? The ARRL has clearly sent marching orders to all Section EC's that HF Winlink will be the official system for digital emergency communications; while promoting the notion that Pactor IV on HF would be the magical mode if FCC rules would only allow it. What is it about a $4,000 Pactor IV TNC that requires another $150 licensing fee to enable Pactor IV mode that is a totally proprietary right of a single German company that makes the ARRL continue to promote that it is the only way to go for digital emergency communications. As long as it's possible to make anonymous contributions to tax exempt foundations we will probably never know; or at least never have proof. No wonder they wanted to control what the directors could say and not say in public.

KA2FIR, K2XT, K0IDT and 1 other person like this.
  13. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Want more confirmation? Try this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/772zlk/please_cancel_your_arrl_membership/
    The post from W3QA (Winlink) towards the bottom is worth reading, 5-P4 modems supplied and not used. The "equipment dispatched" did not have
    Pactor of any flavor, sound card modems in the radios were used for Winmor.

KA2FIR likes this.
  14. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this link to the reddit post. Good info from NS0S and good followup after watching his interview on Ham Radio Now. It's probably the closest thing to a debriefing we will ever see on the Puerto Rico deployment. The W3QA info was very informative. We sure would never have gotten this info from the ARRL.

KA2FIR likes this.
  15. WH7WP

WH7WP Ham Member QRZ Page

He's not out yet. Look for March 2 as his "Retirement". That is when he is OUT.