ARRL insurance - primary or secondary

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Apr 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think what WA9SVD said above is the biggest benefit of ARRL insurance, assuming that it is indeed primary. Not having to file a claim with homeowners insurance is a big benefit.

I've heard (through reliable sources) that in at least some states, if you file 2 claims against your homeowners insurance, your home becomes ineligible for insurance, even for a different owner. It was a big enough problem that real estate agents were putting in exit clauses into sale agreements, stating that if a home was uninsurable due to past claims history, then the sale can be terminated without repercussion. I know I had to provide proof of claim history when I sold my house a few years back.

Being able to use insurance that doesn't hit your CLUE report is a big advantage of ARRL insurance.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And what is YOUR point?
    How did you come to that conclusion???
    Yes, I've had one claim in over 20 years, when my car was broken into, and the auto insurance (after the deductible) covered replacement of much of the (destroyed or damaged) dashboard and console, but not the loss of the radio. ARRL insurance paid for the replacement of the radio, but I foolishly listed it's value for a closeout price from Heath Kit, not the actual replacement amount. That was a $500 difference, and that $500 had to come out of MY pocket. No, they did NOT cancel my policy just because I made a claim. And the deductible on the ARRL insurance is FAR less than that from any other insurance company. (My "Stately Farmer" agent recently informed me that my auto insurance deductible had to be raised to $100.00, as they no longer wrote policies for $50.00 deductible, which I have had since the 1970's. It costs more, but should a situation occur, I'd have a hard time raising an extra $500 "deductible" at one time to get repairs.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Count yourself lucky.
    In these parts (Long Island, NYC suburbs) most people go with deductibles of $500 or even $1,000 to keep premiums reasonable.

KC9UDX likes this.
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's the same here, in the fastest growing population centre in the country. ( I should look that up and see if it's still true. )

5. W8VYR

W8VYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok question. I use a lot of commercial gear on the ham band "Motorola". Would these be covered under the insurance since they are not actually Amateur Radios?

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you would have to ask the insurance company. Amateur means Amateur radio; commercial radios used incidentally for Amateur radio may not be covered. It's better to be covered (and informed) than be sorry. The ARRL insurance company may decide that your "commercial" or professional equipment is just that, and not covered by their policy. What price tag did you declare for that equipment?
    And IMHO. it's better to get the commercial gear covered by a real insurance policy, and not try to rely upon the ARRL insurance to get you out of a jam. They are NOT obligated to renew a policy (particulary if there are any questions about the equipment involved) even if they do pay for a settlement. You might find yourself without ANY insurance coverage, even for your Amateur only equipment.