ad: Amateur-1

ARRL Hudson Division webinar recording

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As we all know, there was no "FORCE OF 50". There were, a couple of dozen dedicated hams that sacrificed their time and effort to assist (by going to Puerto Rico) in ECOMMS in PR, and their individual efforts are to be highly applauded and grateful thanks appropriately extended.

But the REAL issue is leveraging the IN-PLACE capabilities of EXISTING radio amateurs in THEIR communities. A STELLAR example of that was KK4DCX's remarkable effort in San German Puerto Rico, after Maria.

IMPORTING HAMS should be a last resort. TRAINING AND ENABLING HAMS IN-PLACE is the proper and vastly preferred means.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a contrast heard and seen in this vid versus the OP media, both of ARRL Directors addressing members.

Trying to imagine N6AA wearing a bodybuilder costume as a MCU super-villain nick-named "The Eviscerator". It always morph's into a Fred Rodgers or Leslie Nielsen spoof.

It's no joke though in the context of official ARRL public communications. IMO, Norton wins hands down for a concise, rational, relatively objective, explanation of the issues and political status quo. (@ 10:54)

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    N0TZU, K8BZ and W1YW like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

N2YBB is most certainly correct that the collection of directors is not a mutual admiration society. And that most certainly is a shame; but communication to the rank and file should not be colored by portrayal of that dysfunction, IMO.

I 've talked with K1KI, who is facile at conveying and communicating. A great role model for other directors.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have clearly been working too much. How I have missed all this is a testiment to that.

John, your comments throughout this thread are spot on.

I am a volunteer counsel for the ARRL and have a little bit of experience with HOAs representing a few hams. Fred (K1VR) literally wrote the book and I agree with him completely.

............Bob W4PG

W1YW likes this.
  5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So I've listened to N2YBB's comments. His comments about K1VR are stunningly stupid. Period. If I lived in this guys division, I would demand his resignation. WOW!!

............Bob

6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

N6AA is exactly the kind of person we on the BOD. Is there a video anywhere of the presentation he gave that he was censured for? I would love to see that also.

7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me personally his horrible behavior is just stunning. It might be time to install metal detectors at every entrance to every ARRL building(s).:eek:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    KA0HCP likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bob.

Important to have your thoughts in this.

Chip W1YW

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Words you should never hear when a director describes a prior boarding meeting:

-- eviscerated
    --excoriated
    --defenestrated
    --asphyxiated

10. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

well, since in a disaster zone, a responders Family and property security and safety are primary, the locals will probably not be available immediately after an event, there needs to be mutual aid from outside the immediate area. This is how the Red Cross functions. Its how Amateur immediate response to an event SHOULD function. There should be properly trained, equipped teams that have credentials approved and recognized by the local gendarmes, so travel is not a problem.

In place hams have a role, but only after they can respond without worrying about their family or property. In place hams can provide local ground truth to the authorities. But they have to have
    functional home based emergency powered stations and useable antennas.