ARRL gives eastern PA Section Manager the boot

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC4YLV, Jun 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K2IE

K2IE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Found at http://www.epa-arrl.org/w3jy-fired-by-arrl-board-of-directors/

"Dear EPA-ARRL,

"Over a long running argument with the ARRL board of directors and their animus towards NTS (TM) I have been relieved of all my ARRL appointments and positions effective yesterday, including Section Manager.

"Please note there is no question of my performance as Section Manager whatsoever.

"This is a political fight over NTS. I became its public face. I lost.

"So be it.

"EPA and the NTS both have many reasons to be proud. Your selflessness is unmatched and I am proud to have served you loyally and to the best of my ability as a Life Member of the ARRL and nearly as long as a member of the Brass Pounders League.

"The charges used against me are absurd and I have ample documentation, written correspondence, that demonstrates a completely different situation which the board of directors disregarded. Perhaps my fate was predetermined when I accepted the position of NTS eastern area chairman with the express mandate to improve our public visibility, marketing NTS to members and trying to undo a decade of slow-death by starvation.

"It did not help my case when I answered a phone call from FEMA about one year ago, looking for help with continental ham radio communications!

"However, it was clear where this was going and the powers that be are very determined to run the ARRL as they decide. It is not a surprise, only a sad realization that you can’t fight city hall."

"Best wishes and good luck to you all —

"VY 73 DE W3JY

"OVER AND OUT"

2. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my favorite quotes by Ben Ghazi.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL seems to be run like many Baptist Churchs. Infighting, back stabbing, subterfuge, up turned noses, the anointed few, and if you're not in the clique you're a sinner. There's always the drama.

W5TTP and NK2U like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's pretty much the case, like it or not.

Way back in the 1960s-70s I was very active in CW NTS traffic handling. We handled serious traffic - real messages from non-ham to non-ham. I still have my old ORS certificates and made PSHR many times.

That was OPERATING, lemme tellya. A real NTS CW traffic net, run properly, is a work of art to behold and be a part of. Most of what passes for "nets" these days.....isn't.

In those days a phone call of more than a few dozen miles was "long distance" and things like email and texting did not exist. And there were plenty of places where telephone service did not exist or was unreliable.

All changed now. The demand is all but gone. Heck, you can text or email anybody almost anywhere for free, so why make it complicated?

People actually sent Western Union telegrams back then. The demand for them dwindled to the point that Western Union ended all telegram service in January 2006 - more than 10 years ago.

It's similar to what has happened to MARS and phone patching.

----

I'm in EPA but have no idea what the real story is. However, note that in many sections it's difficult to get people to volunteer for the appointments, so actually pushing someone out is a very big deal.

5. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...that's why I'm dropping my subscription to QST this fall. I can't see giving them another dime so that they can turn around and hurt ham radio.

de NK2U

6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well just like the Baptist Church there's a lot of food planned for the ARRL Field Day Emergency Preparedness Exercise.

CBCBBQ.jpg

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep us out of this, please, thank you very much.

KY5U likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So, you don't know the full story, merely a headline, a link, and several comments, few of which are actually germane to the discussion... But you're ready to drop your League membership. Just like that.

Gotcha.

Didn't realize you were so easily swayed on so few facts and so many opinions. I'll bear that in mind for the future.

N2EY and K4PIH like this.
  9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, no, not just because of this. It's been a long time coming. The ARRL has done so much harm to ham radio; I was even on the fence last year. I figured, give 'em one more year but then they pulled the "take 50k away from the extra class hams on 80 meters and give it to the novices, techs and generals." That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Got me now?

de NK2U

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, yeah, I remembered.

I think further comments on the matter would best not be placed in this forum.