ad: Schulman-1

ARRL Foundation to Create Club Grants Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6NU, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL has long recognized that it is in the best interests of amateur radio to encourage and support amateur radio clubs. Clubs historically have recruited, licensed and trained new radio amateurs and have provided the community setting for radio amateurs to continue their education and training. The new ARRL Foundation Club Grants program, funded by a grant from Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC), will make $500,000 available to clubs, enabling them to more easily provide and expand these important services. The program will provide up to $25,000 for worthy club projects, while requests for more than that will be referred back to ARDC.

Beginning in April 2022, amateur radio clubs will be able to apply for these grants by filling out a simple form on the ARRL website. The ARRL Foundation will then evaluate the grant proposals, with a key criterion being how the project will advance amateur radio in the grantee’s community. In most cases, this process should take no longer than 90 days.

Dr. David Woolweaver, ARRL Foundation President, is, understandably, quite enthusiastic about this program. He notes, “This program will substantially contribute to the growth of amateur radio clubs and their efforts to expand and support the amateur radio community.“

Rosy Schechter, ARDC Executive Director, is equally enthusiastic. She notes that this program will streamline the process for getting club projects funded, so that clubs can get started on these projects more quickly. “We’re very excited about working with the ARRL Foundation on this program,” she says, “We can’t wait to see what kinds of creative things clubs will do with these grants.”

About ARRL Foundation
    Established in 1973 by the American Radio Relay League, Inc. (ARRL) as an independent 501(c)(3) organization, the ARRL Foundation is funded entirely by the generous contributions of radio amateurs, friends, and ARDC. The Foundation advances the Amateur Radio Service by awarding financial grants and scholarships to individuals and amateur radio organizations in support of their charitable, educational and scientific efforts. To learn more about the ARRL Foundation, please visit http://www.arrl.org/the-arrl-foundation.

About ARDC
    Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC) is a California-based foundation with roots in amateur radio and the technology of internet communication. The organization got its start by managing allocations of the AMPRnet address space, which is designated to licensed amateur radio operators worldwide. Additionally, ARDC makes grants to projects and organizations that follow amateur radio’s practice and tradition of technical experimentation in both amateur radio and digital communication science. Such experimentation has led to broad advances for the benefit of the general public, including the mobile phone and wireless internet technology. ARDC envisions a world where all such technology is available through open source hardware and software, and where anyone has the ability to innovate upon it. To learn more about ARDC, please visit https://www.ampr.org.

For more information, contact:
    Dr. David Woolweaver, K5RAV
    ARRL Foundation President
    956.425.3128, k5rav@arrl.org
    Dan Romanchik, KB6NU
    ARDC Communications Manager
    858.477.9903, dan@ardc.net

N5PZJ, KX4O, K8VSY and 2 others like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

write THANK TOU.gif

DAN FOR KEEPING US POSTED.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO KEEP UP THE GREAT

WORK FOR THE HAM RADIO COMMUNITY.

HATS OFF.jpg

73 ES LOTS OF GOOD HEALTH IN THE NEW YEAR

AA5BK likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This worthy action, I believe, has the invisible hand of Phil, KA9Q, and I want to make sure that generosity is acknowledged publicly.

Nice work Phil!

Chip W1YW

W9YW and AA5BK like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THREE CHEERS FOR PHIL.

HIS CONTRIBUTION TO HAM RADIO IS NEVER ENDING.

HE IS A PERSON WHO IS WELL KNOWN AT THE ARRL HEADQUARTERS
    .......BRAVO....

73 - K1LKP

5. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This was the work of all of the ARDC staff, board and advisory committee members.

K6AH, W9BRD, N4QX and 4 others like this.
  6. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Blimey!
    With a membership of 160,000 that's a little under $3.13 per amateur going into the pot.

Membership to me is $76 for a year or $217 for 3.

lifetime is $1900 or $1515 if I'm over 70 years old
    (At my allocated 3 score years and 10 that's only $385 difference.)

Effectively I've got to live to 89.93 years old to break even or 142.14 years old if you consider the only thing I get is QST ($21 per year)

If the only thing I get is $418 worth of QST & I only live to 89.93 years old & get no other ARRL benefits....:rolleyes:
    In my reckoning that's $1097 I'm putting in the pot as a gift to help you guys.

$500,000 doesn't seem that much now, From a non profit making organisation.

YOUR WELCOME ! :)

This is strictly hypothetical ! :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    K0UO likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wherever the money originates, it is a partnership between ARRL and ARDC with the excellent intention of fostering worthwhile projects through the club system.

If it works well, you may see more money go into the effort. Certainly tangible success will attract additional donors and donations. Lots of folks are sitting in the sidelines to see how best to foster future ham radio (myself included). This could be a positive ice breaker.

Local clubs are the 'first line of defense' in the future of ham radio. BTW, many clubs have rather substantial internal resources, so the ARRL/ARDC grants may help leverage what they already have in mind.

IOW, this effort clearly goes on the side of 'hope' of the KB6NU famous ham radio saying: 'hype or hope?' Granted, a strange way to look at the world, but it does alliterate.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

10. G5WCW

Local clubs are indeed helpful towards the furtherance of amateur radio interest,
    That is of course the narrow minded few don't drive them away.

The amount to be invested does seem to be a miniscule amount compared to the anual turnover.

I say it's a small amount, It would look nice in my wallet! :D

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's always a tough call on how much to allot to 'start up' projects. Too little and its undercapitalized...too much and you get accused of 'throwing money at it'.

W1BR and K0UO like this.
  12. G5WCW

ARRL needs some building work done & the quotes are coming in by sealed tender.

The first one opened is for $600.000 the second is for $500.000 the third is for $1.1 million

The president decides to go with the quote for $1.1 million but the vice president discovers it's from a fictitious company set up by the president.

The president takes him to one side & says "$300.000 for you $300.000 for me & quote number 2 can do the work! :D:D

13. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL Foundation is receiving $600,000. $500,000 is guaranteed to go to clubs. The remainder is to cover expenses that the Foundation may incur in setting up and administering their program.

K1LKP and W6RZ like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty modest overhead charge. Sounds good.

15. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the amount of money that the ARRL takes in... the ARRL should be giving back to the clubs and its community.

I am surprised there is not a fee for commenting on an ARRL topic.

Cheap schmucks... I'd love to see the annual financials.

K0UO likes this.