ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The standards in amateur radio licensing were raised in 1963 when the ARRL proposed incentive licensing and adopted by the FCC in 1967. CQ Magazine was behind the proposal as well. Not that it solved any problems in either operational or technical proficiency among hams--which it didn't--but to demonstrate to third world countries in the ITU that American radio amateurs were worthy of their HF bands that these impoverished nations wanted for their own usage. The issue wasn't about quantity as it is today.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

What's wrong with the license structure the way it is?

NK2U, WQ4G, KD8OSD and 2 others like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nothing. It should remain the way it is without change or any modifications to the Technician License.

NK2U, WQ4G, KD8OSD and 3 others like this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Read the August 3 ARRL Letter post in th Amateur Radio News forum, to get the ARRL's rationale. There are valid concerns about the future of the hobby.

Although in my view they have an over-simplified view, and their proposed solutions address the wrong problems. They fail to take proper account of the possibility that amateur radio is just not interesting to young people nowadays

K4KYV likes this.
  5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are lots of things that are wrong with our license structure, in my view.

When they did away with code tests for Technicians many years ago, it was never the rationale that all newcomers would start on VHF and UHF. That simply wasn't practical for newcomers in the hinterlands, where repeaters were foreign or simply unworkable. It was expected that many would continue to obtain the then-available Novice ticket, and enjoy limited but useful HF privileges. Sadly, nearly all prospects chose instead to go the no-code route, which underscored the unpopularity of Morse Code testing. Eventually, the Novice was withdrawn, mostly due to lack of interest.

Today, a Technician ticket is really only useful if you live in a place with significant local activity, and in recent years, VHF/UHF FM has seriously dropped off the face the planet. It's not all that easy to find a QSO in many of America's larger cities on VHF/UHF FM. Yes, repeater linking, and particularly the new digital voice modes open up a world of communication capability, but is this really how we want our newcomers to experience ham radio, taking to a local repeater that is connected via the Internet? Wouldn't it be better if they were trying to make contacts on HF?

A lot of the objections start off "Well, why can't they....". I think we all know why they can't or don't. It really isn't necessary to rehash these things. I am a CW operator, too, and honestly, things are getting pretty bleak, even on the bands where Techs and Novices have CW privileges. This Field Day our club was able to come up with three CW ops - I did most of it - and next year, my time will probably be very limited due to health issues. Some newbies are learning the code, and I'm happy to see it, but honestly, not nearly enough are doing it to keep it going forever.

On the other hand, modern digital modes open up real interesting possibilities for no-code hams with limited stations - particularly those living in apartments, condos, townhouses, and HOA-controlled antenna restricted properties. I know one local ham who uses the heating ducts in his townhouse to work digital modes, and was approaching DXCC last time I talked to him.

I'm not as enthusiastic about SSB privileges for Techs on HF, but I know that many of those advocating the change are. I'd like to see a serious power limit applied here. 10 watts on 40 meters at night or 15 in the daytime when the sunspots are cooperating is enough to make contacts - lots of them at times. Most of us higher class licensees don't run more than 100 watts most of the time, so I think it should be lower than that.

It would be nice if we could keep it as simple as possible. They already have a 200 watt limit for CW on those HF bands, and we can't take that away from them. But I think a much lower limit for digital and SSB would be proper.

A new license class would be better, but is apparently not a popular idea. The other option - do away with the Technician, and make the General the entry level, is not that unattractive, but then you will have raw newbies showing up on your favorite frequencies running 1500 watts without any skills at all. What could go wrong with that?

KD0TLS and WZ7U like this.
  6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

For the reading impaired.....WE means me and W2AI

Go read it again....let it sink in. We don't need the FCC or the ARRL cooking up a new license.

NK2U likes this.
  7. N3KCM

N3KCM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, just what we need. They just let CBers have legal DX, now look out 40 and 80 more CB'ers on the way. Open the flood gates... Keep them off data, you don't see the potty mouths on data at least. That's why I spend most of my time on data, no turds that want to run 1000 watts and act like idiots like what the last ticket change created. Just another way for the ARRL to make more money off new hams. When is the ARRL going to start working on preserving what ham radio used to be about? Remember when you used to have to learn basic code, learn about radio theory, learn about rules and regs before it was all dumb down to where an idiot can get a basic license... Oh yeah, lets give them more instead of encouraging them to learn and then upgrade!!!

NK2U and WQ4G like this.
  8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Techs have voice on 10m now and by the way I got my first DXCC on 10m phone as a Tech (before the Tech/Tech+ nonsense). The DX I couldn't
    work on 10m RTTY got me to upgrade to Extra, I think it's known as incentive :) If current Techs aren't interested how are you going to snag them let alone
    newbies?

Minor problem here, how do you enforce power limits when most HF radios are 100w out of the box? There's little to no enforcement of the rules now.

NK2U, WQ4G and AB3TQ like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not reading impaired I just don't care for speaking for others without attribution and even less for faux editors or potentates.

K1OIK likes this.
  10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Work on that comprehension thing and it won't be such a problem.