ad: chuckmartin

ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who's "we?"

K1OIK likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i am onboard with giving them small pieces of 10, 15, 40, and 80 to play around with SSB and digital - not too much though b/c i dont want them close to the CW portions of hte bands (i know, selfish) -- as long as there is a strong focus on operating best practices, regulations, and identification of different modes. I also believe there should be a strict power limit for license classes below extra class. 20m, WARC bands, more bandwidth and higher power levels should be the incentive to upgrade.

KQ9J likes this.
  3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a minor point, but perhaps the reason to go to the "free license with the purchase of a Baofeng" model is because of the way so many new hams are treated by the "old guard." One need only spend 15 minutes on QRZ.com to see many examples of new hams being mistreated and basically invited to 'get off my lawn' by leaving the hobby before they even get started.

Might be easier to recruit more hams to the hobby by actually being nice to them.

JS.

W5PB, N0TZU, N2PPK and 2 others like this.
  4. KD0JMH

KD0JMH Ham Member QRZ Page

YES without any doubt. There are likely more than a few who see no reason to upgrade because "who wants to talk to those guys anyway"

While I don't really have a sound opinion on changing of the license structure, I can offer that continued efforts to have government control of it are doomed to failure just like everything else falling within government control.

KD0TLS likes this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We?

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends. Two hams and you get "we we".

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a problem with creating yet more subbands - we already have way, way, way, too many of them. And if we're talking about a digital subband for Techs, I strongly oppose the idea. We do not need to segregate the Techs in one small part of the band - we tried that idea ages ago, and it was a flop, ended up as wasted bandwidth. If a Tech subband is created, people will start calling it 'the digital band' and there will be efforts to force all digital operation there. Higher class licensees will be spread out further than they are today, in order to work 'watering holes' in at least two places. You only need to look at 40 meters to see what that leads to. We have PSKers on 7070, 7040, and 7030 in part due to lack of harmonization in bandplans for the three ITU regions.

Now, I would not allow them to operate in the 'automatic' subbands - that would address the WINLINK worries on most of the bands in question. My guess is that they intend to revive an earlier trial attempt to reclaim part of the over-expanded 75 meter phone band for this purpose. That is sure to be met with outrage on the part of hundreds of Extras who don't even have an antenna for that part of the band, but think they're being screwed somehow, anyway. No, it's easier to just give them 3525 to 3600, less the automatic subband, so 3525 to 3585. I can just look forward to explaining why when your dial is set for 3585, your PSK or JT65 signal is probably out of the band.

8. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

sure ... but that band has to have easy, inexpensive gear out there ... giving beginners a band who won't have the tools to work it is kinda pointless.

WA4BCS and WZ7U like this.
  9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are some things that need regulations and an agency with jurisdiction to at least provide the threat of prosecution to the scofflaws. Otherwise it's just a giant free-for-all. Name me a private entity that has the capability of doing that. Government is a necessary evil and not all of it's functions can be duplicated by any private entity.

WQ4G and WD4IGX like this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people seem to be treating this far so seriously. It's an obscure but stable hobby and the only reason to try gimmicks like this is to stimulate growth in the market for those who derive income from us.

It makes little difference what happens. We will survive, the bands will still be populated at a level consistent over the past 50 years without substantive change and the threshold for entry will be further lowered to accommodate the perceived need for market growth.

No one ever raises the standards. Quantity trumps quality every time. This is simply another rung on the ladder to reach the lowest common denominator.

NK2U, AE7LP, WQ4G and 2 others like this.