ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W0AAT

    W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    And outside of contests the BAND IS DEAD, just tuned 160.... not a CW signal to be heard, couple guys on SSB W0RCR AM broadcast is 5x7... 80 meters ONE CW station on, 40 meters TWO cw stations...

    So don't tell me it is heavily used. Contesting does not count because it is VERY intermittent use of the band.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. KY5U

    KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

    W0AAT has a plan but it should be limited to one or two narrow band data modes (he alluded to this). No "automatic data station" use, or email etc. I'd like to see us change the license name from Technician to "Rookie", or "Training Wheels" Class....
  3. KK5JY

    KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

    A statement that is true of every band.
  4. KY5U

    KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

    This discussion is moot since we now have a Pyro class petition in the news section.
  5. KK5JY

    KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

    This discussion is moot since the FCC basically said "we are done talking about license restructuring" over a decade ago.
  6. AC0GT

    AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

    Are any of those people that said "we are done" still working for the FCC? I did a quick look at who are the commissioners now and none of them were commissioners ten years ago. I've heard people say "the debate is over" before and that usually doesn't end debate, just ask Al Gore.

    This has been debated for a long time and it will continue to be debated. I believe a lot of the debate started with the idea of incentive licensing. There will always be differing ideas on what the incentive should be and what we are trying to incentivize. I believe it's about time to do away with the idea of incentive licensing and treat an amateur radio license much like any other license. A license should be proof one has sufficient technical and regulatory knowledge to operate the equipment before them, much like a license to drive, fly, fish, or hunt.

    With every year passing since the FCC said they were done doesn't make the argument stronger, it makes it weaker. The debate will continue. I believe a large part of the debate will be over when we get an Amateur Radio license structure like Canada. That includes an optional Morse Code test. Many nations still require Morse code testing for reciprocal licensing so this should be an option until more nations stop requiring it.

    I know the FCC won't like the idea of a new test, so don't make the Morse Code testing a new test. Just use the same test as the commercial radio telegraph license, 16WPM code and 20WPM text. What these nations need is a piece of paper from the FCC saying they've passed the test, so give them the piece of paper. Make it an endorsement on the license (Morse qualified), a new license type or name (e.g. Amateur Extra with Morse), but offer people this option to meet a legal requirement.
  7. KK5JY

    KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

    Actually, I am sure that a number of the staff are still there. The commissioners themselves don't do the work. They are just the ultimate "deciders." The staffers, as in Congress, are the ones that do the historical research for the commissioners, and many of those people are lifelong public servants. So yes, I am sure there are many people at FCC whose careers predate the 2005 R&O.

    And as long as you do that here, rather than taking your case to FCC, your debate is meaningless, albeit entertaining. ;)
  8. K7JEM

    K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's not going to happen. Morse code testing is through in ham radio in the USA. If people want to be tested on it, some organization like ARRL or FISTS or someone can provide testing and a certificate that will probably be acceptable.

    What nations are those that require proof of code proficiency before issuing a reciprocal permit?
    NL7W likes this.
  9. KK5JY

    KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

    IIRC, you can still get a Commercial FCC Radiotelegraph license in the US, although finding a COLEM to test you might be a bit of a challenge. ;)
  10. AC0GT

    AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

    There's the problem, it's "probably" acceptable. There are laws on this and unless some government entity spells it out plainly on what the requirements are this will be a problem. The laws will say the testing must be done by a government agency, says so in the ITU agreement. Something from the ARRL might work in places where some sort of reciprocal agreement is in place but not universally. This was a bright line when Morse code testing was noted on the FCC license. I've seen people try to find solutions to this but the FCC hasn't done anything about it.

    Can you name some that don't? I don't mean just above 30MHz, that's been the norm for a while now. I mean operation on all frequencies.

    So far as I know only Australia will allow HF operation without a Morse code test, and that change was done just weeks ago. I'll look this up once in a while and I still see people wondering about the legality of this yet. Canada still requires visitors to have passed a Morse code test for HF even though there is no requirement for Morse code to get a license from the government.

Share This Page