ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what Winlink/ADS wants. You ever go up against an automated station that doesn't check for traffic before operating? It will not stop until it's message gets through or it times out. No, this is a VERY bad idea for many reasons. US hams don't play well together. It would be all out war. Same for the power level differences. But it shows you're thinking.

KQ0J likes this.
  2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it works on 160 because fewer amateurs have the capability to erect a decent antenna for the band or even go on 160 except maybe for contests. Try to implement that concept on the higher bands and I think it would be total chaos even assuming that most operators would try to be conscientious.

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

It sort of works on 160. Try running digi modes down there, anywhere, and you'll get some heat or just plain flattened by one of the 'gentlemen' that don't think you
    should be there. A while back a group of 5's, I think, set up to run SSB below 1840 and pretty sure the FCC was drug into the mess to get them to move. If you have no limits you can kiss the narrow modes goodbye and please don't point out Canada did it........how many hams do they have? We already have to deal with
    non-domestic SBB on 40m clear down to 7050, turning all the US phone guys loose is a real good idea with the current lack of enforcement.

WQ4G and WD4IGX like this.
  4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

You do have a vote if this ever makes it to the FCC. Every recent Tech enhancement petition has been shot down by the way.

NS8N likes this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a good point. The ARRL assumed that we need a new or better Entry Level license to solve some problem with attracting young people to the hobby, and keeping them, but not everyone believes there even is a problem, or if there is, that a new entry license, or more HF privs for Techs, is the solution.

The rationale for the committee is described in the report the i posted a link to in post #1.

6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quit being foolish!!! ;)
    It's best just to give it all away today.
    Why the heck should anyone have to work for anything -- especially children, teens and young adults?

NK2U likes this.
  7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares what the ancient history of amateur radio licensing was? Sure, we should note it for historical reasons, but what we used to do should have very little influence on what the FCC is doing now.

If they want to offer a test free all mode HF/VHF/UHF license...we need to stop them.

WQ4G, KG7OG and WZ7U like this.
  8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I post the 'ancient history' of American amateur radio for the benefit of the many newcomers who will peruse these threads but will not post for one reason or another. Second, the FCC should leave things exactly as they are. No new class(es) of amateur licenses are either necessary or needed.

K1OIK likes this.
  9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

We totally agree. The FCC AND the ARRL need to leave it alone.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, because they bought the "wrong" equipment to begin with. Hardly their fault really. But if they spent the money they had dropped on the FM rig on a functional used or into level HF of HF+6 they could have a lot more fun and be a lot less bored.