ad: dxeng

ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W8IXY

W8IXY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, here comes my opinion from a ham first licensed in 1960. Flameproof suit on: __ Any CW requirement is moot. What do you think about a two tiered license structure, but it would require a rewrite of the entire rule structure. Establish two classes of licenses. All privleges on all bands, 160 on up (That'll stir things up) for all licensees, except, maybe, for the "first tier" subbands on HF (i.e 50 kHz on 160 thru 15). Remove all regulatory segregation of frequency subbands (All modes on any frequency on any band - which would require a complete rewrite of FCC rules). (That works just fine on 160 now). Establish "gentlemen's agreements" on subbands such as repeater channels, digital channels, phone vs CW vs digital, satellite, DX windows, etc.) etc. There will always be the scofflaws. The intro license should have just enough tech stuff in it to keep a majority of newcomers from hurting themselves with electronic equipment, and staying in band. It should require a complete knowledge of rules and regulations. Limit the introductory power level to 50 watts (PEP, carrier, average digital, etc.). The second tier license would be close to the technical level of a combo of the General and Extra. It should also include the requirement for how to build (and keep yourself safe from) equipment that could kill you, plus basic antenna design, etc.) I see no need to having to prove how to solve complex math problems involved with vector analysis, etc. You have measuring instruments and calculators for that now. Power level for the higher tier license would be essentially the same we have now for the Extra class license. My guess: It will never come to pass. What do you think? I'll keep my flameproof suit on. FWIW, I passed my General and Advanced in front of an FCC engineer over 55 years ago. We have no need to do that anymore. VE's have proven that we can self police just fine. I passed the Extra in front of VE's. Any and all opinions welcome, just don't get into name calling, CW vs phone, etc.

Ted W8IXY

2. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="K5TCJ]And how about also encouraging Technicians to upgrade to General.

pssst

(they just did)

wink

3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For one thing, at that time; Technician was considered be an experimental and not a communication license. It was possible to simultaneously hold a Novice and Technician License up until 1968 when incentive licensing was implemented over a two year period. Novices were expected to upgrade to General/Conditional Class and Technician class license was never considered to be a stepping stone to higher class licenses. When incentive licensing was first proposed in 1963 it was expected that General Class operators, who had full operating privelsges at the time, would upgrade to Advanced or Amateur Extra. If not, they would lose phone sub-band privileges.

4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually most of the hams we have today were born 50 years ago

5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Flameproof suit? A dead term from the early 90s.

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, yes, there would be an 8 wpm difference.

7. KI7LGN

KI7LGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is a move in the right direction, but perhaps a step too far. As someone who WANTED to get his ticket for several years ,but was put off by the simple fact that Tech offered no privileges I was interested it, I would have jumped on this new Tech in a heartbeat. That being said, I would cut the bandwidth allotments roughly in half. I'd do that for several reasons.

1: Eliminate the "Is anyone out there" feeling for new hams. With them limited to a relative sliver of spectrum, it should help eliminate the feeling of listening to an empty room.

2: Consideration to current hams. Keeps the chaos in one corner, so the guys willing to do on-air Elmering (They do exist, and I personally am VERY grateful for that.) can easily find those most likely to need help, and the crotchety old bastards that want the rest of us off their lawn know where to avoid.

3: Creates a built in reason to upgrade. As the shine wears off, the intentionally packed Tech allocations will go from "Wow, this place is busy!!!" to "Can't I EVER find a clear frequency???" This will help push the slightly more seasoned hams up and out to the wider fields of the General bandwidths

Matt

N2PPK, WA4BCS and WD4IGX like this.
  8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have to agree with that. No automatic operation period. But that should be for every class of license. If nobody is there to make sure the frequency is not busy, and the software can't do it, then a transmitter should never be keyed. Of course, that would kill HF Winlink email. One can only wish :p

Otherwise, I don't have too much problem with the option they are suggesting, except on 40. I really wish they weren't proposing 40 meters for this. Not enough real estate there. It gets mighty crowded as it is.

KQ0J and WQ4G like this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, it would probably be better to have them skip the Technician license entirely, and just encourage them to take both tests at the same time.

The big problem is that once someone has the Technician license, they can't do anything very interesting, or at least they're not told how to do anything interesting. If I was suddenly stuck with having only a Technician license, I would actually still have a lot of fun working CW on 80, 40, and 15, and making satellite contacts, and using SSB on 10, 6, and 2. But the new Technicians are never told to do those things. They're told that they can now use repeaters. After a few days, they discover that's a pretty boring activity. At that point, the only piece of equipment they own is an FM rig. If they're lucky, someone will tell them that they can use it for satellite contacts. But they're rarely told that, and they can't do that all the time.

But to do the other fun stuff, they discover that they need to buy more equipment and/or get yet another license. Someone already told them that ham radio was fun. Now, that person is telling them that they don't have the right license or the right equipment for the actual fun stuff. I guess I would be a little disillusioned about it if that happened to me.

KK6NOH, WD4IGX and WZ7U like this.
  10. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page