ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And how about also encouraging Technicians to upgrade to General.

KK5JY likes this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I know 15 sure SUCKED on Field Day, and if there was ever a Time the band would be active it is FD!!! When I went there after the 20M PSK station qrmed my 7300, I only heard 1 local signal on the WHOLE 15M bAND!!

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't put them on 80 or 40, it is already packed WALL TO WALL (and TREE TOP TALL!!!)

KC9VFO likes this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Option One Translation: Winlink (automatic data station) users are complaining about having to pass the General test to get HF email on their sailboats so lets give the Tech license HF data privileges so they only have a simple 35 question test.

To head them off at the pass, there needs to be language that Technician Class Operators may not own, run, or use "automatic data stations". This would apply to any new Novice Class as well.

P.S. This was proposed in lieu of code test removal prior to 2007 and opponents (current techs at the time) referred to it as creating an "HF Ghetto" for new hams.

KR2C and WQ4G like this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with all of that. Data, yes, sure, but less than Generals. Phone, on higher bands that have less utilization and more bandwidth but not on 80 or 40.

I can't imagine a "new Novice" - the Tech is already a basic written with all the question pool published and no code test. How much more basic can you get? A test to see if you can turn a factory radio power switch on?

Exactly. It's open more than people realize, because people think it isn't and don't check it. And in any event that will change as sunspots (hopefully!) return.

WQ4G and WD4DXQ like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

As a practical matter, what need or desire is this proposed license structure going to actually fulfill?

KK5JY likes this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8 wpm? I came into radio in the 70s but I didn't think there was ever an 8 wpm exam, just 5 and 13. Might have been a 10 way back years before?

And that's not entirely true about appearing a district office. First, they traveled to exam locations periodically, away from district offices. I took mine in Knoxville, TN where the nearest district office was Atlanta. Secondly, applicants who lived more than a certain distance from the nearest exam points with at least quarterly exams - I think it was 250 miles but as I didn't qualify being 100 miles from Knoxville my memory is a bit hazy on this - could take a "Conditional" class exam from a volunteer examiner, same as Novice and Tech. It had the same privileges as the General. It was "conditional" and named that in that, it had the condition attached that they could demand you show up for an in-person exam if you gave them reason to believe you hadn't actually properly qualified.

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WhaT I meant was that the code test for Novice and Technician was 5 wpm at the time; the General/Conditional/ Advanced Class was 13 wpm. Hence, the 8 wpm difference between 5 and 13 wpm. True, there was quarterly examination points in which the FCC administered amateur exams. Prior to the mid-1970s; Technician Class (C) was a "mail order" exam as the Novice was. And like the Conditional Class; a holder could be called up at any time for an in-person exam before the FCC.

9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

OPTION 3!!!!

NK2U, KK5JY and WQ4G like this.
  10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Because that was 50 years ago and half the hams we have today weren't even born yet.