ARRL Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN4RH, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a link to the Entry Level License Committee Report July 2017.

The report summarizes the initial survey done back in February, that had 7891 responses.

I was surprised to see that they did a second survey to 1000 ARRL members "chosen at random".

Anyway, they came up with a series of recommendations.

Option 1. Add HF digital and phone access to current Technician class privileges.

Under this option, they would add Data privileges to Technician in 3525-3600, 7025-1725, and 21025-21200. And Phone privileges in 3900-4000, 7225-7300, and 21350-21450.

No change to existing Novice, saying that there's only 9500 of them left instead they'd "encourage them to upgrade to Technician".

Option 2. Request a "new Novice" license class with basic privileges

They say that it's unlikely that the FCC would do this, but the committee is supportive of this idea and that it is the "best option" in the long term.

Option 3. No change.

Focus instead on improving the question pools, outreach to potential hams, mentoring, helping people get on the air.

And here's a link to the ARRL Board of Directors Meeting Minutes from July 21-22, summarizing the brief discussion on this topic. The Board voted to go with Option 1, adding Phone and Data to Technician; and to continue to research and develop Option 2, a new entry level license.

2. NN4RH

Just for the sake of getting the inevitable argument started, here is my take on it:

* I can see adding Data privileges to Technician, but given them basically the same data privileges as General on 80, 40 and 15, is going overboard.

* I would vote (if I had a vote) against the mentioned phone privileges for Technicians on 80 and 40, but 15m would be OK. 15 meters is underpopulated anyway. Opening up 40 and 80 meter phone to another 400,000 hams probably won't go well.

* If we add data (and maybe phone) privileges to Technician, why would we need yet another new entry level license?

K2HAT, N1EN, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  3. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Give 'em a dead band.. That a way!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

I tried to post an image of my 'Progress' from DXKeeper. No love, but in 15 months I have 117 worked and 99 confirmed on 15m - with a 40m dipole
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    NL7W likes this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Only during a sunspot minimum

K9ASE likes this.
  6. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I support regulation by solar flux number.

NL7W likes this.
  7. NN4RH

15 is not a dead band at all. You just have to be smart about how to use it.

In fact it's may favorite DX band. Way more so than 20 meters.

N9DSJ and KI4AX like this.
  8. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Why didn't the ARRL propose something like this for Technician Class back in the early 60s?? The only difference between General and Technician Class back then was 8 wpm (code test) and to obtain the General Class license you had to personally appear at a FCC district office whereas for the Technician Class you could obtain it by mail.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Because in the 1960's, the Technician license was a VHF only ticket with no HF privileges, and intended (correctly or not) for use by experimenters.

Once repeaters started coming into play, things changed. Eventually.

10. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page