ad: MyersEng-1

ARRL Encouraging Amateurs to File Comments Opposing FCC Fee Proposal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Oct 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is already possible to copy 'verbatim' many excellently polished responses, so I don't buy that explanation. What evidence do you have that the FCC would consider multiple responses of the same points as 'one'? If so, and the ARRL basically only expands on the 'story board' listed, then explain why we aren't wasting out time?

Alternatively, won't the FCC IGNORE the ARRL response if IT echoes submissions already made?

2. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The US national debt already exceeded the GPD...by more than $7 trillion.

AI7PM, KR3DX and (deleted member) like this.
  3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the update. I guess I'm behind the times. :)

4. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax Chip, we aren't in court. It's an opinion. Take it or leave it.

WZ7U and WG7X like this.
  5. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I can do $50 every 10 years. Then again I don't buy thousand dollar cellphones, I don't play lottery games, I don't try to keep up with the Jones'. Priorities folks.

N6XJP, K5WW, KE0GXN and 6 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax?

Hey--its' 2020 ;-)!

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt much will happen unless a near clean slate is elected over the next few years.

BTW, Im entitled to bitch about the ARRL as Ive been a member since 1956 and still have all the QST's.

Love or hate Wayne Green but he was the only one to keep exposing them; now the ARRL can do what they want.

K1MGY likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I could afford $5 in 1956 and $50/year now considering inflation as I'll be 80 in a few weeks. My vices are few and inexpensive:D:rolleyes: I just parked one for the winter.

W1PEP likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Pure BS

Prove it with real facts. I dont get any breaks with drivers license or Comcast due to being an old fart...plus my Medicare payment goes up yearly

K3BR and W1PEP like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Controversy? If you want to call it that. This is the Zed, OM...if the ARRL offered you the ability to walk on water with your membership, many here would complain that the EVIL LEAGUE was trying to put the cruise ship industry out of business. ;)

KA0LDG likes this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding the "young people" mentioned: that reeks of the ACA and the trend to define yesterday's adults as today's dependent children.

I don't buy into that mindset or trend.

KE0GXN, KC2YMO, N3FAA and 2 others like this.
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean the kids with the designer sneakers and top of the line phones? What's that you say, Mommy and Daddy are paying for that...good they can pay the license fee. And the seasoned citizens who hop into their big Buicks on a Monday morning clutching their 25 cents off coupons and driving down a 65 mph highway at about 25 mph for the grocery store. Might there be exceptions, no doubt?

K5WW, K3BR and KR3DX like this.
  13. N2NUT

N2NUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a member of the ARRL, they really are a waste. As I have stated in previous postings, they seem to be a book club these days. I really wish we had a very proactive organization. At this point it is an organization run by old men with old ideas. Take it from an old man, they have not changed much in the 40 years of my time as a ham.

KE4ITL, K9UR, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  14. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just sent the following letter to ARRL. I want to hear what they have to say.

Dear ARRL,

The ARRL is encouraging its members to comment about the FCC Fees Proposal, as noted at its website at http://www.arrl.org/FCC-Fees-Proposal .

However, it is of little use to ask for comments that do not address how the FCC does not need to increase fees and still comply with Ray Baum's Act. The FCC is required to comply with Congressional mandates. Any comment must argue how the FCC can comply with the mandate without raising application fees. It doesn't really matter whether or not amateurs like or dislike the fee increases as their elected representatives passed a law that, as the FCC appears to interpret it, mandates an increase in the fees.

As an ARRL member, I expect that the ARRL will make, in support of its mission of amateur radio advocacy, cohesive and coherent arguments to regulatory agencies on behalf of its members. Therefore I think it is very important that any urgent call to action that ARRL members respond to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking MD Docket 20-270 include such arguments, otherwise the members' time and effort is being wasted. Because its advocacy mission is no small part why ARRL continues to be supported by its members, its members should be instructed in how to engage in effective advocacy when urged to.

I hope that ARRL takes its advocacy mission seriously, especially given the potential for the proposed license fee increases to severely hamper interest in amateur radio. Please let me and other amateurs know how to usefully and effectively advocate for amateur radio.

Sincerely,
    Daniel Marks
    KW4TI

WZ7U and W1YW like this.
  15. K8TDN

K8TDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I 'll pay $5.00 a year to keep my license even if I do not use it as much as others...this is cheap..5 bucks a year..less that a cup a coffee a month

KC2YMO, N0DZQ, K8PG and 2 others like this.