ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Encouraging Amateurs to File Comments Opposing FCC Fee Proposal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Oct 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually support the fee update and would like to see much higher fee's for renewal and a re test of the lisc class you hold. ARRL'ers might have put down the Doritos, get out of the easy chairs, cancel the "full time disability" and get go back to work.

NE6W and NK2U like this.
  2. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah gatekeeping certainly makes everything better.

N6HCM, WZ7U and WQ4G like this.
  3. KD7TTT

KD7TTT Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is trying to phase out the hobby.

N6XJP likes this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For comparison purposes, they have to pay $50/yr for their licensee in Australia, but true, the exams are now given by volunteers, not the FCC any more and the VECs enter the data, so the only cost is for computer time...maybe.....400ms per license...max.

N5XMV and KM1H like this.
  5. KM6DYO

KM6DYO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've submitted my comments. Let's hope as a community we can come together and find an acceptable solution without the criticism and the controversy.

One more thing we don't need in this crazy world we live in.

AG4YL, KA0LDG, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  6. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah...I'm sure that massive network used to sore the data and run the ULS was installed and is continuously maintained without cost to the FCC by magical elves, on loan from the fat man up north.

KR3DX likes this.
  7. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would pay $150 for my license... but then I am not 15 years old and I can afford it. I'm not 80 years old either and trying to get by on Social Security. Amateur radio has always given back more to our communities than it takes. If the FCC needs to raise revenue, it should look to some of the billion-dollar corporations that it sells the public airwaves to.

As for the ARRL, they used to look out for the interests of radio amateurs. Now they look out for the interests of the ARRL. That's becoming painfully obvious.

Nevertheless, do your part and let the FCC know how you feel. Better yet, go the next step and let you're congressional representative know how you feel. I've already done that.

N6XJP, NZ6Q, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  8. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. They are basically saying this what we are going to do. Heres your complaint dept if you need to vent. The fcc doesnt propose, they do.
    Just like any govt agency.

NK2U and KR3DX like this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha

10. K1MGY

K1MGY Ham Member QRZ Page

The return of fees is an indictment against the inept, hack-infested, and power/money hungry ARRL. Fees would not be considered (by a fairly minded agency) if it was demonstrated that the nation was getting something in return. Our charter, established when government (the FCC) had some wisdom, sets forth these values, primarily of service to the public. We're all very cognizant of our value, but it simply has NOT been properly sold by the ARRL. In fact, I'm convinced after many years of dealing with these dolts that they have no clue.

I encourage every Radio Amateur to recover the cost of the FCC's fee by disconnecting themselves from the elitists in Newington. They are the NRA (corrupt, too much cash, and unfocused on defending the Second Amendment) of Amateur Radio. Let new leadership rise and put focus upon the value of our existence to America.

N6XJP, NK2U, KK5JY and 2 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Change comes from within.

We should see some of that in new directors, coming in.

WQ4G likes this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you could explain why you would like to see 'much' higher fee's for renewal and a re-testing?

I personally would not mind a $50 renewal fee every 10 years, ESPECIALLY if it meant some enforcement to get rid of some of the GD RFI the Amateur Radio Community is becoming plagued with. And, as for re-testing... I passed my Extra (not bragging here) with a score above 95%. What? You don't think I can do it again? Easy peasy...

What makes you think that all ARRL'ers eat Doritos, sit in easy chairs, and are on full time disability?

This comment SMACKS of condescension and politics. Nothing like looking DOWN that nose at people who have a lot less than you do. But, I'm not surprised...

Dan WQ4G

KA0LDG and WZ7U like this.
  13. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I put the blame squarely on ARRL money chasing by over promoting contesting. Honestly ask anyone who is a non ham to listen to the bands during a contest. They would come to the sane conclusion (what does that contribute?) Of course once they have heard the fights that break out over trashing the bands or any net or QSO.
    Not fully against contesting but its become insane and the ARRL does nothing but continue to promote it so the big three can sell more radios and the rest more stuff through ad revenue.
    We have a merry band of old farts who love the politics but care nothing for the hobby at large. Their recent event cancellations just speak to that.
    Wayne Green preached about all this decades ago and look at how much they hated him for being a voice in the wilderness.

I dropped my membership last year because of all this and their inaction past bitter infighting. They are useless.

N6XJP, K1MGY, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  14. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think folks are missing the point, its 50 for renewals, 50 for each level advancement, 50 for printing your license.
    3 levels -150 + 50 for printing your license= 200

50 for renewals every 10 years but who is too say that will remain the same.

some big fat cat in the fcc noticed that more people were getting their licenses and thought , hmmm how much money can we bring in......when you auto a system you do so to cut cost, whether its labor or equipment....why should we be paying to keep a system going that was meant to cut cost not impose more cost......

here is the truth in this matter, the FCC could give a rats butt what you think , they will do what they intend to do, asking everyone opinions is just a process never to really make a difference, but lets think it will.
    secondly the ARRL is total waste of your time and money ask yourself what have they really done or ham ops, nothing........they are mismanaged, the c.o.o was ousted due to mismanage of monies.....they say they are our voice, well lets take a look a what type of voice they have provided........they think they are looking out for our best interest, but in reality they are not looking out for us...they are looking out for themselves.....

we can talk about the pro and cons of this proposal, bottom line is ...its going to happen, nothing we can do ...those who dont mind it, fine let them pay the cost...for those whom do not like it.......i wish we ALL had a real voice in this.

Last but not least, my question is what are they going to do with the million of dollars this will bring in.....dome some math its over 10 million a year.

when have you know a government agency really looking out for you!!!!

N6XJP likes this.
  15. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see the FCC use some of this new fee money to actually enforce the Part 97 rules and regulations. It's time to take out the trash.

N6XJP, K5WW and AI7PM like this.