ad: Tetsuo-1

ARRL DXCC with LoTW and Paper QSL's

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AI4RA, Jun 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AI4RA

AI4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, I did a search here on QRZ and couldn't find the answer to this question, so I am posting here.

According to my calculations, I am eligible for DXCC now with 101 total confirmed contacts. 97 of these are on LoTW with my current callsign, 2 more are on LoTW under my old callsign, and 2 more still are paper QSL's. All of these are distinct DXCC entities, of course! So my question to you all is, how do I apply for DXCC from ARRL by combining these 3 different methods of QSL's?? It is not clear to me from either the application that ARRL has online or by any of the descriptions I have seen on ARRL's website. But I am probably missing something. Could any of you please help me get my DXCC? I know I am definitely eligible now; it's just a matter of combining the QSL methods, online logbooks and paper QSL cards and showing ARRL the truth of the matter, LOL!

Any help any of you can provide here is greatly appreciated!
    Raf (AI4RA)

2. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ok, I JUST did this....

• Create online DXCC account on ARRL website.
    • Create a new online application (this is via ARRL - NOT LoTW)
    • Enter the details of your paper QSL cards
    • Submit and Pay for application
    • Take cards to an ARRL card checker or send them to ARRL
    • Wait 3-4 weeks to receive your DXCC summary from ARRL
    • Log on to LoTW and request tp link your paper DXCC account with your LoTW account
    • Wait a couple days - check LotW to see your paper cards show up
    • Submit DXCC award application via LoTW
    I had to send a few emails and help tickets via LoTW to get my paper DXCC account and LoTW DXCC account linked.

When I did it I had about 97 LotW confirmations and 40 paper confirmations. By the time my paper application went through I had received several more LoTW confirmations to get me over the 100 mark so I got my DXCC awarded before my paper cards showed up.

3. WH6LU

WH6LU Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you search on the ARRL Web site? http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-and-lotw-faq

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW = Log On Then Wait

AC8UN likes this.
  6. WF4W

ya know, once you get these couple things done - like getting the initial postcard and combining paper DXCC with electronic DXCC, everything works well and quickly.

K2HAT likes this.
  7. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It used to be that you could do a "hybrid" application with LoTW credits and cards, but not anymore.

Submit your LoTW app separately, then do your paper app. The paper app can be via online DXCC or the regular old forms. Then take the cards to a checker or send them to HQ and they'll check them, return the cards to you and mail off the app (or process it in the case of HQ).

8. WF4W

so yes, do the paper app first - even if it is not a full 100 - they will be applied to your account. Then once you link accounts, you can do an application on LOTW that uses both paper and electronic. I think the 'hybrid' language is confusing b/c you CAN use both paper and electronic; you just need to do the electronic application AFTER your paper qsls show up on lOTW

WU8Y likes this.
  9. AI4RA

AI4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you all for the responses! I did look online at the ARRL website but got very confused trying to figure out how a "hybrid" application combining LoTW and paper QSL's could be accomplished. I didn't realize that you could do a paper application and then link it to LoTW accounts. Also, I have two accounts on LoTW for the two callsigns I've had over the years; it appears that ARRL will combine those two along with the paper account and then give me the DXCC award. I'll get this ball rolling, and it's possible that I may get enough confirmed QSL's on LoTW to reach 100 on it alone before this process is finished, like happened with WF4W. I'll try to put an update on here once I get DXCC so this experience can help others who are in a similar situation. I am fortunate to have an official ARRL card checker fairly close to my home QTH, so that will be my preferred way of getting my 2 paper QSL's verified.

10. WF4W

when you get your cards checked you should get ALL relevant cards checked for all bands and modes. For example, dont just think in terms of DXCC mixed - think of all bands and modes - dont just take a card for argentina - take a card for argentina on 40/30/20/15/10 on CW, SSB and Digital. It will be easier to start marching towards your endorsements without haveing to go AGAIN to a card checker...

K2HAT, AB8MA and (deleted member) like this.