ad: Amateur-1

ARRL DX Advisory Committee is Seeking Comment on Award Criteria, DXCC Annual List

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K8BZ, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

01/06/2020

The ARRL DX Advisory Committee (DXAC) is seeking feedback from members on two items as soon as possible. Email comments to your DXAC representative (list is also linked from the DXAC page).

The first issue involves the question of revising 5-Band DXCC (5BDXCC) requirement to accept contacts on any five band as opposed to the existing requirement of 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. The DXAC wants to know if this opinion appears to be widely shared, whether it’s motivated by the current ebb in the solar cycle, whether it devalues the award, and if it goes against the original intent of the 5BDXCC award. Comments should include “5BDXCC” in the subject line.

The second issue seeks consensus on the removal of silent keys from the DXCC Annual List, which records individuals who have made at least one application in the past year. Use the subject line “DXCC Annual List” when you comment.

Submit comments on both issues by January 10.

2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem with accepting contacts on any five band as opposed to the existing requirement of 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. I feel the time has past to limit the initial award to the original bands. It kind of made sense back when the WARC band radios were first coming out and most DXers still only had the original 5 bands. But I don't see the point of it now. I don't feel it devalues the award or goes against the original intent. With the long periods of solar minimum it might give newer HF operators more to work toward during those times with a couple more bands sometimes open.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like it’s always been a contrived award to stimulate activity for those who like to catch the same fish in different parts of the river. I suspect most people don’t care or aren’t very concerned.

ND6M likes this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite catching the same fish in different rivers...at least not that simple. Let's assume for a moment that it is the height of a good solar cycle. It may be possible to work DXCC on a weekend on 10 meters from a mobile on the west coast. Possible because I did it in the 70's. Under the same conditions from the same location getting DXCC (from the same 100 stations) on 15 and 20 might not be too difficult either. But trying to finish out 5BDXCC on 40 and 80 is NOT the same (talking west coast here) as on the higher bands. To be successful requires operating at much different hours of the day and night, different techniques, and quite likely much more complex antennas. And it may require mixed modes rather than one mode like SSB. Maybe most people don't care or are not concerned. But there are 10's of 1000's of DXers who do care--in fact their quest for 5 (or more) BDXCC may be their primary interest in the hobby. Don't dismiss that just because you may not share that interest.

AD7DB, AD5HR and K8BZ like this.
  5. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

DXing and chasing states for 5BWAS are my current, primary interests. I understand that with either or both awards and $1.50, I should be able to get a cup of coffee in most places, but I enjoy the challenge with 100 watts of CW and wires. Currently, I have WAS on 160m, 80m, 40m, and 20m and at least 100 DXCC entities confirmed on 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, and 15m. I'm actively hunting for the rest on 10m, 12m, and 160m.

I have submitted my comments to my DXAC rep.

K8BZ likes this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I worded it very poorly - didn't intend it to diminish the interest lots of people have for it and never intended to dismiss the accomplishment except to say (rather poorly worded) it never interested me.

As to the fishing metaphor, some fish can only be caught early, some late in the day, some only at night and some reside only in narrow pockets or in specific areas and each may require unique equipment to catch them. And lots of people do that every chance they get. There are also rules by which the fisherman must abide in order to compete. Sounds eerily similar to me.

7. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How long has 5BDXCC been around??? I suspect longer then the WARC bands.
    Any 5 bands should count. Then you can get endorsements for 6, 7, 8, 9......

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think so too. It seems they were sorta timid about promoting 'competitive' activity on the WARC bands back then. Time for that to change.

W3ATV likes this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to worry. All awards are contrived to stimulate activity. You didn't say there was anything wrong with that. And they also serve a purpose the purpose of recognizing achievement. I took no offense in your response. I don't particularly like to rag chew. Different strokes for different folks. 73, BZ

10. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I vote keep it as is. I had to work hard to get 80m DXCC

Granted 30m DXCC was even more work for me.

I have recently moved to Florida, and am starting all over on WAS.
    Glad I don't have to start over on DXCC!! :( Ugh.

K8BZ likes this.