ad: AbAuRe-1

ARRL Creating New Online Groups for Members to Have More Direct Communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1RSN, Oct 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

You view it as bashing, and I view it as constrictive criticism. If the members voices are muted then I don't see the point, and have my doubts they will be around for another century unless they take changes and listen to their members.

Fortunately myarrlvoice formed and they noticed and took some corrective measures. As for the lobbying part, yes all USA hams have the option of filing their own FCC comments, and I encourage them to do so. As for ARRL lobbying, I guess I haven't seen enough fruit and a poor plan of attack to feel they are getting much accomplished in that arena.

I get the feeling your they type flush with extra cash and likely have memberships in several "non-profits". I am not.

For example; TAPR is fine by me, because they are entirely fun by volunteers. I am more critical when joining anything where there is paid staff (and the CEO talking about being paid in his editorials), so I look at what they are actually getting done that I feel near and dear about. I am not interested in United Way types of organizations where it appears their largest function is paying their staff.

Please note in my previous "ARRL bashing" post, I did detail some of what I felt was wrong with the organisation. I didn't just say the ARRL is crap like everyone else. That is the difference between bashing and constrictive criticism.

As yes, I am looking for a reason to rejoin. I check the online editorials from time to time to see if anything resonates with me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    K0UO likes this.
  2. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Healthy organizations encourage constructive critique and the discussion of multiple points of view. This often exposes both new options and consequences not originally considered. When a course is chosen, participants have the satisfaction of having had their "say" in a public venue, even if their recommended course of action was not taken.

The critical metric is market share growth, not longevity. The ARRL's market share has declined to 20% of US licensed amateurs -- with no competition. Aggressive action must be taken to reverse this trend. The new online Groups offering members and prospective members direct interaction with ARRL leadership is a step in that direction.

WJ4U likes this.
  3. KW0FRE

KW0FRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Which trend needs to be reversed? You say ARRL's membership has declined to 20% of US licensed amateurs. This implies that fewer active licensed amateurs are joining the ARRL. How many US licensed amateurs are even active? (active as in working the hobby, not license status) Only active hams would have a reason to join, so a percentage based on the entire amateur license holder count would not be an accurate picture of what you're trying to imply. What percentage of active license holders are members and is that number declining?

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can remember when W5YI was first started. They couldn't offer a lot of the things ARRL could, but they did offer some 'improved' versions what the ARRL had to offer. They were also poo-pooed by probably every ARRL member that could offer any 'poo' at all. 'W5YI' was the closest thing to a national organization to give ARRL any competition. The ARRL began to straighten some of their act up, but not enough (in my opinion). Can you tell I'm not exactly a fan of the ARRL? I really do have reason for that, but I'm not going to 'air' it here.
    Active versus in-active hams? I'm not so sure that's a legitimate distinction, since those 'in-active' hams also may be members and 'contribute' to the ARRL's programs.
    This is an honest question, what has the ARRL done for YOU lately, that really makes some kind of difference in what you typically participate in? The best I can honestly say is that they haven't 'screwed' anything up lately. Why would that be a good thing??

ND6M likes this.
  5. AA6YQ

The data shows that that the number of US hams has been increasing every year since 2007, and that ARRL membership has been declining each year since 2015. Each of the last several ARRL Annual Reports have reported annual membership declines of 1-2%; see for example page 15 of the 2018 ARRL Annual Report.

Your definition of active - "working the hobby" - is not quantifiable. Anyone who has taken the time to obtain a US amateur radio license is a candidate ARRL member.

The fraction of US licensed hams that are ARRL members has been decreasing for years:

[​IMG]
    The second chart shows the trend that must be reversed.

My understanding is that 60% of licensed German hams are members of
    DARC - and DARC's annual dues are higher than the ARRL's.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When this attitude changes, membership will change.

My feeling is, "what have I done for the ARRL, what have I done for my hobby?" Not, "what have they done for me."

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You, unlike us "unwashed mass of Amateurs" seem to have the arrls' ear.

How about suggesting that every NEW (not upgrade or renewal) licensee be given a free one year arrl membership with printed QST magazine included?

Even if only 1 of 5 renews after a year, it is still an overall increase in membership

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KA2IRQ - I have to think that if a group/organization that charges a fee to belong should 'give' that fee payer something for his money that the payee feels is worth that money. Sorry, the ARRL hasn't done that in years. I really can remember when they did, but...

9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And like I said, when that attitude changes to one of "I'm in, now what can I do to help?" then membership will go up.

I've been the member of many local clubs... everyone pays dues to the club each year. A few club members do most of the work- head the committees, set up the club station, volunteer for various tasks. The majority of members sit on their duff and watch it all happen, and do nothing. They show up to the meeting with an attitude of "entertain me with ham radio talk." If you do a "census," you'll find it's the 80/20 rule... 20% of the members do 80% of the work... Most local clubs are that way.

So for the club to survive, it needs paying members to get involved and actually do something... I'm not sure why the attitude about joining the ARRL is the opposite... "I joined, now what are you going to do for me?"

No- you joined, now get involved and actually DO something. Help to row the damn boat!

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm trying to encourage all my friends to join or rejoin, I do see a big change in the league and its leadership.

I'd like to see you join, and then start contacting your league officials, hopefully we all will be surprised.
    One thing for sure, amateur radio does needs to be represented.
    Please keep us posted!!!

11. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

More recent figures are that about 33000 out of 64000 or 51% of German amateurs are DARC members.

It is however down considerably since the 80s, when the DARC had over 60000 members, or almost 80% of the amateur population.

This is still a quite high fraction, usually the membership fractions are in the 35-40% range in Europe.

After considerable recent in-fighting in the EDR, the membership fraction in Denmark however fell towards 25% as an exception.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

12. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a member for a good number of years I'd make a point to keep in touch with my division director on things. When I see them promoting and giving credit a bit more to the open source guys (who are really the ones propelling the hobby) then I'll rejoin. They just need to use that editorial soap box a bit more to get everyone working together on things.

13. AA6YQ

The purpose of the new online groups announced in this thread is to enable all amateurs to directly interact with the ARRL's leadership and staff.

I have already suggested that every new licensee be given a one year free ARRL membership, including digital access to QST. I will continue to press on this.

W0PV likes this.