ad: M2Ant-1

ARRL Code of Conduct censure "Catch-22"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Nov 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

From an ARRL press release,

"Acting on a recommendation of its Ethics and Elections Committee, the ARRL Board of Directors has publicly censured one of its own — ARRL Southwestern Director Dick Norton, N6AA. On an 11-3 vote, with one member abstaining, the Board adopted a resolution to censure Norton for criticizing the ARRL Code of Conduct for Board members at an Amateur Radio gathering “by virtue of his characterizations thereof, thus criticizing publicly the collective action of the Board of Directors adopting said Code of Conduct ..." "... Board members had cautioned Norton that “his actions and his manner” in criticizing the Code of Conduct for Board members were “not acceptable and cannot continue, ..."

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-board-of-directors-publicly-censures-southwestern-division-director

In other words, the ARRL BOD has adopted a Code of Conduct that demands no public criticism of the no-public-criticism Code! Perfectly convoluted and convenient.

Therefore the BOD becomes more impervious to change, ARRL policy making grows even less transparent, while the inner-circle autocracy grows stronger.

Hard to resist invocation of Godwin's Law before even starting the thread.

What say you fellow ARRL members?

73 de John - WØPV

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    W7ROX, NK2U, NL7W and 4 others like this.
  2. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So let me get it straight. If he disagrees with the code of conduct, he cannot question the code of conduct?
    Meaning that the board can add rules to the code of conduct but board members cannot question it..
    Can someone please explain? I am not up to date with legal mumbo jumbo.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

He is officially not allowed to disagree with any ARRL policies! Kind of like where the rest of the country is headed. if you disagree, you get blasted!!
    Thanks to Dick for holding on to his principles and not letting them get him down!!
    Dick is my new HERO!!!

KD8ZMN, AE1P, NK2U and 3 others like this.
  4. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like we need to work on replacing the board or investigate what is going on here.

NK2U, AI7PM, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding is that it wasn’t what he said, it was how and where he said it.

I’ve heard rumors that his comments weren’t exactly kind towards the other members of the Board, but I haven’t heard the specifics. AND that he had been cautioned before about the comments.

There is a time and a place for everything. And there are three sides to each story... one, the other, and the truth.

N8XTH, N0TZU, WA8FOZ and 4 others like this.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.”
    Joseph Heller, Catch-22

KF2M likes this.
  7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

What a crock...just another reason to not support the ARRL. Unbelievable. :(

W4POT, AI7PM and KD8OSD like this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm over the people running the ARRL doing things like this, then saying they are "Representing Ham radio". It's a race to the bottom.

Let me ask how many members belong to The Zed? I don't really know how it stacks up to the ARRL, but the Zed has awards programs, an online logbook, much more relevant information, it has excellent customer service, and although we may not always get along, everyone has a voice, and it's much cheaper....free if you don't use any services. I say, drop the ARRL and join The Zed.

NK2U, NL7W, K4FHI and 7 others like this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

So what happens to him from the censuring? Do they take away his callsign hat and his "Ham Operators Do It With Frequency" coffee mug?

K3GM, KF2M, K2CAJ and 2 others like this.
  10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The reason the ARRL has this policy is that N. Korea is a "rare" country and they are trying to curry favor by acting like N. Korea.

N5PAR, W2TXB, W4POT and 4 others like this.