ad: Mountaingoat-1

ARRL CEO Howard Michel (WB2ITX)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Only one question from this corner: Why do we keep asking this same question (or variations) over and over and over again here?

Maybe I'm wrong, I have been before. At least in the eyes of some of the so-called, self defined "experts" here. I think that if any of the techs had any desire to explore radio for its own sake, they will do it whether or not it is mandated.

Whew! Long sentence, short thought...

Anyway, the decision to make the Technician class the entry level ticket without changing the allocations was a huge mistake, brought about by the push to get everyone on the "emcomm" bandwagon.

Still, its not to late to make a change. But will changing the allocations make any real difference in new hams getting on the air? I don't really think so, simple because those Technicians who are interested in HF operations have probably already upgraded. They are not stupid, lazy, or misdirected are they? HF operation is not an interest for everyone and again those who were interested in HF are already there.

OK, maybe you might get a few more converts. Maybe...

If simplicity is our goal, then the answer is obvious: a one size fits all ticket. Or at best a two tier system.

Been an ARRL member for decades. Bashing them is another thread.

KG5THG and W1YW like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent points Gary.

Techs feel excluded from HF because they do not have usable HF privileges (i.e. FT8 and SSB on usable bands). You definitely won't capture ALL techs onto HF IF you change the allocations, but you MAY see a sizable increase of of them using HF. Basically there is no downside to giving them such privileges on , say, 15, 40, and or 75M.

If you come in with just a VHF HT, and there is no activity on the repeaters near you, or its a trash-talk zoo, then clearly you too would put away the HT on the shelf with the beef jerky and extra batteries.

HF is always active (somewhere) and global. More options to actually do something.

Obviously Techs know about HF-- a good part of their studying for the exam invokes HF knowledge and practices. Giving them CW on HF when they don't know or use CW was not a brilliant move. And 10m is dead, so that is off the table. So we shouldn't consider this a new privilege set per se--they are already on HF (with a practically useless set of privileges), but an opening at new HF modes for Techs.

Techs can speak for themselves-- I don't want to give the impression that my summary (based on talking to many of them) trumps their actual opinions. Love to hear from them--here-- on this.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    WU8Y, K4FMH, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  3. KC1KWX

KC1KWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently got my Technician license and the limited operating privileges gave me incentive to get my General about a month later. Perhaps its not about broadening the Technician privileges but rather promoting the perks of upgrading.

Also, the day after I had passed the Technician exam I stopped by the ARRL headquarters to buy their band chart. Upon arrival I was greeted by NQ1G and spent an hour or so with him. Realizing that I was a new ham he was extremely informative and helpful. He told me about the many hardware and band options. He also spoke of his operating experiences. By telling me of his experiences and of the new technologies available I became very intrigued. In my opinion personal interaction is the best promotion of all.

NN4RH, W0PV and W1YW like this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

The silence is deafening. Those that want on HF take a simple 35 question test and become Generals. Those that don't care about HF, stay a Technician. Nobody, as of yet, has been able to tell me what is the problem. Why are we trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist? There are lots of Techs here on QRZ, but they never post in these type of threads. They do, however, post in Echolink forums and in the UHF/VHF forums. Have we consider that, possibly, that's what they are interesting in pursuing?

5. KC1KWX

Great point. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I upgraded to the general because HF is where its at for me. To me, 2 meter is great but there isn't enough of a challenge when talking through a repeater. Granted there can be 2 meter DX but its just not the same as the raw power and antenna challenges of HF. As I said in my earlier post, I upgraded my liscense because I wanted to obtain more privileges. It wasn't because of it being a status thing and believe it shouldn't be.

6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

You can have LOTS of fun on VHF and up. It is, often, more challenging than HF depending on what you want to do. HF isn’t for everyone.

7. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a view from a guy that got his Tech in '94, never used it until last year (25 years later).

I always had a interest in HAM. Never followed through because quite frankly, I was never able to get CW down. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts. Just one of those things I coujld not get. Like being an artist or playing a musical instrument. It was not in my bag of tricks. So when I discoverd you can get a license without code -Whoo Hoo, count me in! So I got the ticket. But the drive (and money) was not there for yet another hobby. So I never made use of my license. Renewed it when it expired, sitting in a frame in my office. Finally, last fall, I was egged on by some friends to 'get a hand held FT-60'. Inexpensive, well made, dip your toes. Heck, I already had the license. It took a week and I began to get a handle on it. Re-read my expired Tech manual. Got egged on to get my General and passed it. Have the Extra book now.

So.. I have not needed the privileges the General gives. I might some day. Tech really is adequate for the bubbler to get on the air and talk to some people. I honestly see no reason to make Tech expanded. I am only interested in getting my Extra 'because I can', I do not think it is going to make a single bit of actual difference in my life. I am not so sure having my General is going to make any difference either. Though maybe one day... in 20 years....

KC1KWX and WE4B like this.
  8. WG7MM

WG7MM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is about updating the Tech privileges. Techs have HF privileges but they go unused because Ham radio has changed. It used to be learn CW first then move up to Phone on HF. Now radios come with a mike and if you are so inclined you can order a key for them. Phone, Digital, CW is a typical order of getting into Ham radio. Techs have HF privileges.....mostly CW. Nobody starts with CW these days so it makes sense to have their privileges be in the phone segment of the HF bands.

9. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hallo HOWARD greeting vy73 DJOAJ ekrem W1AW

10. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HALLO HOWARD WB2ITX GREETING vy73 DJOAJ ekrem --W1AW

11. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

#NOTMYCEO

ND6M likes this.
  12. KC1KWX

You really have me thinking..... I'd love to try and hit the ISS. A friend of mine did... I also would like to try 2 meter DX. Your comment is exactly what I believe promotes progression in the hobby. 73. Chris.

13. KO0KY

KO0KY Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe more incentive to get a tech ticket in the first place!

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page