ARRL Centenial celebration W1AW "stations" part deux

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When should ARRL Centennial celebration part deux happen, for having a designated W1AW station in each of the 50 States take place again? With band condx terrible should 2021 be a consideration? Would you participate in the event if it was held again? It sure did generate some activity on the bands in 2014 trying to round up all of those ARRL Centennial stations. Huge pileups on both SSB, CW and the designated W1AW stations sure did have a lot of good OPs sitting in the OP chair during the event.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am MOST ANXIOUS for this to happen!! I got to operate as W1AW/6, and it was a BLAST!!! Hope I can get selected again! I scored a TRIPLE PLAY W.A.S. (phone, CW and Digital) when they did that!

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But, yes, they should hold off until we start getting some decent Propagation. Working anywhere in the Country today is HARD DXing!!

W1AW, the loudest station in the country, only came in here S3 for the Field Day Bulletin!!

4. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AMSAT is doing this with our club call, W3ZM, on satellite this year for our 50th Anniversary. Though only for a few months, and in a much much more informal manner.

https://www.amsat.org/events/was-w3zm/

5. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hpm 150th birthday is coming up.

K4AGO and N2EY like this.
  6. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a perfect timing, even if the bands are not in good shape all of the time. Sounds like a very good way to honor HPM on his sesquicentennial Bday, along with the other pioneers of AR.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just thinking about that the other day, and wondering if the ARRL was going to have any special activity like they did for HPM 125.
    I remember it really cranking up the dead bands during a sunspot lull.

8. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time is running short, as his birthday is September.

What could be another great event is the 100th anniversary of the first transatlantic tests - December 1921, when 1BCG was the first amateur to get a message across the Atlantic on short waves.

N1BCG and K4AGO like this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I receive W1AW CW practice runs here at 10 dB over S9 in the evenings on 20 meters.

KI4AX

10. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a pipeline from the northeast to Fla.

(I don't remember where it is, but somewhere down there you can actually pay a fee and go to see one end of it. You look through it and see New Englanders waving back at you from the other end. The rf field is pretty intense, too).

W4POT likes this.