ad: HamHats-1

ARRL Bulletin on Morse Code Elimination

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0OH

N0OH Guest

It is truly a sad day for amateur radio. I guess it is time to throw away the mic...

2. KA1SDR

KA1SDR Ham Member QRZ Page

what about technician's with no code that currently have completed the general theory but have not passed the code yet will they become generals automatically?

3. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KD7ZOS

KD7ZOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings and Merry Christmas to all: Sorry about not being politically correct...:-( ! Question to all much smarter than me, How will this effect techs, who are studying for General? Will we have to do only the written Gen. test? Nothing further needed, just wait for a upgraded license notification, or what please? I already bought myself a HF rig for Christmas, to listen on untill I upgraded! [​IMG] 73's Stay Safe and God Bless, Tom KD7ZOS P.S. Happy Holidays to the non Christian Folks!!:)

5. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

The current techs studying for upgrade will be required to only pass the General written with no code test - AFTER the new ruling takes affect - which will be sometime between now and the next couple of months.

73 de Ken H.

6. KA1SDR

KA1SDR Ham Member QRZ Page

i am a no code tech right now but back in march of this year i passed the general therory test in hopes studying for the code, unfortunatly i havent gotten the code down yet to take the test so i was wondering how that would work would i get the general automaticly without anymore testing or would i have to take a new test thanx 73

7. N3OX

N3OX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I think so. If that's you, congrats!

8. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

To VJB, Paul, I get what your saying for sure. I originally posted the statement before your first edit, and without your context, it was kind of a shot in the dark. Although I agree with the FCC doing this and thats my opinion, I also agree completely with your opinion on the ARRL. How can they ignore there base of Life time members? They cant. And they did the right thing for the majority of the members. All I'm saying is that there is an obvious segment of our hobby that is for the no-code, and may or may not remember there position on this and maybe not invest in a life time membership or not renew next year.

I am not so sure that this is the voice of the minority. Its prob closer to 33% code 33% no code and 33% could give a care less, But one things for sure! Minority voices in a whole are destroying more then just ham radio.

9. KD7YMR

KD7YMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it was bound to happen. However, the TOTAL elimination of CODE is a shame. . . But when Granny kicks the bucket, one doesn't just prop her up in a corner and lacker her until she's stiff as a board and stops smelling, right? So I guess it really is time to stop beating that dead horse now, huh?

A simple pause to reflect though. . . . How it all started. . . Where all of this came from.

Anyway, if you take things as they are TODAY, Anybody with a few $$ to their name can communicate via radio to anywhere in the world without so much as a thought of a test, let alone licensing. The Brave New World of Cell Phones! No fuss, no muss, and it has a bloody camera built into it! Video and still pictures. Surf the Web. Talk to people around the world without so much as a care of sun spots, coax length or antennas blowing over. . .

If one steps back away from it all and takes a realistic view of how things really are, one can see that Cell Phones to HAM radio is the same thing that VCR's were to Drive-In Theaters; Total obliteration! Our leaders had to do something very drastic just to keep any sort of new interest alive in the dusty ol' art of radio communications, and that's what it is nowadays, simply an "Arcane Art", still viable but not a needful method of communications anymore. . . It's been reduced down to an expensive hobby nowadays. Besides, it never really was 100% reliable with or without morris code anyway, is it?

REGARDLESS, I for one am definitely going to take advantage of the situation! I didn't have the time to practice CODE, but I can read all sorts of books on the run about radio theory, so that puts the upper reaches of licensing into my arena now! The officials were correct in that statement, saying that the elimination of the CW requirement was stifling the advancement of interested folk. . .

Well, I WAS one of them folk! Thanks FCC! [​IMG]

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The news was broadcasted over the PA at a hamfest I was at today.

11 people committed suicide right in the gym.  [​IMG]

11. K1MVP

K1MVP Ham Member QRZ Page

After having been licensed for just over 47 years,--My
    perception over the past 20 to 25 years has NOT been
    the "promotion" of CW, IMO

With the lowering of the CW requirement,  down to
    5wpm, and now the elimination of the requirement
    for all classes, and  "compression" of the cw bands,--the "picture" is becoming quite "clear" as to
    where this "train" is headed.

73, K1MVP

P.S.,--of course CW ops can still "legally operate" in
            the phone bands, if "push comes to shove" --
            forget about qrp, and go "QRO CW", hmmm

12. N0JAA

N0JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

The NCT CB'ers have finally gotten their way.  The dumbing down of Amateur Radio continues...

I hope Samuel F. B. Morse is turning over in his grave!

[​IMG]

13. KD7YMR

KD7YMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, you're getting WAY to drastic. Besides, it's "Throw away the KEY." Not the mike. You need to go Buy a Mic. .. [​IMG]

14. W5OQ

W5OQ Guest

Here we go adding more frequencies for the CB Band. Ham Radio as we know it is down the tube.

I have always believed that to appreciate anything you must work for it. This philosophy has always worked for me.

Needless to say, I am so very disappointed that this has happened!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, there it is! Old faithful! The statement of all statements in the ham world! "Dumbing Down of Ham Radio". Don't worry guys, you will find something else to label and example of it sooner or later. Everything needs a break and that statements turn starts now. HIHI. When you find something new to use it on, let us know.

P.S. Just pullin your chain.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.