ARRL board meeting - adopts new revised band plans for HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7JOE, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly, its not all kids get a trophy that is the problem. Its their parents who think that their opinion is equal to, or of greater importance than demonstrable facts, or experts.

WZ7U and KU4X like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:p:D:cool:

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a better idea. A single class of license with all current privileges, based on a 75 question examination comprised of the best of the current Technician, General and Extra question pools.

N3FAA likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why only 75 questions? Currently, one must pass three tests totalling 120 questions. Before 2000, it was 5 tests totalling 185 questions IIRC.

----

Here's the BIG PROBLEMS with one-class-of-license systems:

1) Such systems require that the newcomer learn a whole bunch of stuff just to get started, which discourages a considerable number of would-be hams. (This is why the Novice was invented in 1951).

2) Such systems result in newcomers who have full privileges and think they are fully qualified to do anything and everything, and they don't need to learn anything more. (This is why we got "incentive licensing" in 1968).

NK8I, K4KYV, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading threads like this will disabuse them of their fallacy quickly.

:rolleyes:

/s

6. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So much for an entry level license, and allowing people to ease their way in.

NL7W and K0UO like this.
  7. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How many people have considered the are Tech that are happy where they are and don't feel the need to advance.

WE4B, KP4SX, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have, often. When I came in, HF was the goal I had so I guess that makes me the weirdo. :D

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a more pertinent question is and its one that can be answered now with available facts and evidence is, is having the bulk of licensees in the lowest tier license good for the hobby more generally? And the only answer to that question is No, its not good and the reasons are many.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not having a beginners/ Learners type license is like not having a student pilot's license and just letting everybody jump into the front seat of a 747!!!

Or Not having a learner's permit for driver's ed students/ just everybody get on the road and drive. I think that would be a real train wreck, literally.

AD5HR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.