ad: AbAuRe-1

ARRL' Becky Schoenfeld abs Kris Bickell discuss initiatives and plans to help hams grow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, May 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  2. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

There absolutely should be videos. In fact, there should be a "Spotlight Series" focusing on each of the mission goals of the ARRL, produced in-house. The problem is that a void of information is easily filled by assumptions. This is not hard to prevent.

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KA3QOT

I totally agree. The new magazine is fine, but why not complement it with videos?

5. KA3QOT

And, of course, they are "sponsored by ICOM." You mean to tell me they need a sponsor for these elementary audio podcasts?

The League can't deliver a podcast without advertising. God forbid they turn down money.

The Eclectic podcast is just one guy reading a script. Very stilted and dull.

How about having two hosts in a conversation instead of this guy drone on for 30 minutes?

K0BAK likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is an excellent question. My impression is they were ready to do some of that , now delayed by COVID.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As a non profit, do you wish them to spend money they don't have?

Most of the ARRL is volunteer-driven, The paid staff is dedicated and underpaid, and the facilities are comfortable but relatively modest. So where do you see the money being wasted? No one gets rich working at the ARRL.

W5ESE and WA8FOZ like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I LOVE the ads.

Makes me drool each month.

W5ESE, WQ4G, W4LJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. K5CIS

K5CIS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this Steve. I, for one, am thankful for the ARRL and their efforts.

The Radio Amateur's Code
    The Radio Amateur is

CONSIDERATE...He/[She] never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

LOYAL...He/[She] offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, the IARU Radio Society in his/[her] country, through which Amateur Radio in his/[her] country is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE...He/[She] keeps his/[her] station up to date. It is well-built and efficient. His/[Her] operating practice is above reproach.

FRIENDLY...He/[She] operates slowly and patiently when requested; offers friendly advice and counsel to beginners; kind assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the marks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED...Radio is a hobby, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC...His/[Her] station and skills are always ready for service to country and community.

- adapted from the original Amateur's Code, written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928

W4LJ, AB4KA and WB1GCM like this.
  10. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KA3QOT: Also, how about redoing QST? It's deadly dull and boring looking. And half of the magazine is ads

And no periodical with any large readership, least of all of print periodicals, can exist without lots of advertising. The only possible exceptions to this are professional journals distributed mostly to libraries with very small readerships, whose subscriptions cost hundreds of dollars.

W5ESE, WQ4G, W4ABC and 2 others like this.
  11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what part of that has anything to do with the arrl?

12. KA3QOT

Not 50% of the magazine page count. I don't know any other mag that has 50% advertising.

They should use that ad revenue to lower their yearly dues.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no magazine with 50% ad page count. QST is not 50% ads, as you contend. I am looking at June right now.

Since you don't READ (as opposed to sometime in the past) QST, how would you know?

The ads do indeed lower the yearly dues, which would be about $80 without them, for the same QST product.

OK?

14. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree the video was very much amateur night and my 12 year old nephew could have done a better job of producing it. However he grew up with this stuff. He has never known not having a computer. Kids are doing this in first grade now and has 7 yeas of experience under his belt.
    For these hams it is possibly a new experience producing a video. Applaud their effort and mention it was unpolished, and needs refinement.

Publishing paper books is expensive especially in small runs. The setup cost are the same for 5000 copies as it is for 100, 000 just fewer copies to make back the production costs on. Shipping is expensive too. Walk into UPS you pay one price, have a contract and large volume you might pay as little as 30% of shipping a single item.

For basic ham/electronics, who else publishes books? Ok there is Radio Society of Great Britain and Germany has their organization too. Not so available in NA.
    The basic electronics magazines are long gone (ie Radio electronics and Popular Electronics) Okay Nuts and Volts is still around and it is okay as far as it goes. Elektor, EPE and Practical Wireless ( all European journals) are around but you do not commonly find them on the magazine shelf. Circuit cellar might still be around (haven't seen it for awhile) but too deep for a newbie.
    This new Journal sounds like it will be helpful for new hams,
    A couple of cost cutting measures might be to publish the hand book every 2-3 years instead of annually. It doesn't change that much . Another might be to do away with paper altogether publish it as a pdf only. More expensive for the first copy, cheaper for updates/revisions. Even QST, QEX could go paperless totally. I do not need 30-40 years of magazines cluttering the house.( I have them on CD).

Graham VE3GCX

15. KA3QOT

I stopped reading because of the ads. I don't believe the $80.00 figure.