ARRL Band Plan suggestions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Feb 4, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're wrong about FT8 having more activity than all the other modes.
    Also digital should take less spectrum and you guys make contacts fast.
    You don't have QSOs like people do on CW, RTTY, AM, PK31, SSTV or SSB band.

K8PG likes this.
  2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The fact that FT8 takes up so little space and yet it's so very crowded is testament to the popularity of the mode.

3. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Giving Techs more spectrum without an upgrade is a hare-brained, pie in the sky idea, unsupported by data, and totally unnecessary.
    Want to upgrade? Take a test. Abby just got her ticket. How? By studying, and taking a test. So easy an 11 year old can do it!
    https://tinyurl.com/qoxblws

Which brings me to clueless hams who move into HOAs and then expect Congress to rescue them from their inconvenient choices.
    https://tinyurl.com/wju73e5

While I'm thinking about it, the Privacy Act 5 U.S.C. § 552a disallows collection and dissemination of private information (like location, address, name, and movement) without consent.
    The ARRL needs to rethink their mass surveilllance plans and being joined at the hip with the clueless FCC, who can only be sued in certain situations, whereas ARRL does not enjoy the same protections.
    https://tinyurl.com/v6l3oqv

There is no justification and no data for refarming the bands in anticipation of mass quantities of Techs using digital modes. No data, no justification, and another pie in the sky, hare-brained plan.
    "It will attract more newcomers to Amateur Radio, it will result in increased retention of licensees who hold Technician Class licenses, and it will provide an improved incentive for entry-level licensees to increase technical self-training and pursue higher license class achievement and development of communications skills." Where's the data?
    https://tinyurl.com/y8s8cscn

And no matter how they 'interactively redefine cloudified meta-services into adjacent fungible verticals' it's all amateur BS.

Sad!

K8PG, NL7W, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  4. K0UO

Screenshot_20200214-121213_Chrome.jpg These guys are pressuring the ARRL as was quoted by a few other people, here is proof.
    These yachtmen and private boat owners are using the system to get email across, many of them have bootleg amateur calls from hams to get into the system.
    They think you're beyond enforcement sensor operating from the high seas, and they're saving money by not using their satellite phones..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    NL7W likes this.
  5. K0UO

They want more 40 meters also
    Screenshot_20200214-132410_Chrome.jpg

K8PG and NL7W like this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The easy fix is to simply move all digital signals >500HZ to 28 MHZ and above. One example is Echo Link that operates really well on VHF and UHF. With the the available bandwidth on frequencies above the 12 meter band, there is ample room for high speed internet traffic over radio.

These systems can be easily leap frogged all over the country in a virtually seamless network. Since the vast majority of high speed, high bandwidth digital data is used for emergency communications, moving to the under utilized frequencies above 12 meters makes even more sense, since one of the first things amateurs do in a disaster is establish VHF and UHF comms via portable repeater systems. By just making that one common sense change, it would free up a lot of spectrum on the HF allocations and give the narrow modes far more room to operate.

KJ4VTH and K0UO like this.
  7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lor Kutchins from winlink team emailed me saying that I should correct my statement about the bandwidth of Pactor 4. It’s actually 2.4khz.

8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's absolutely hilarious. I suggest Mr. Kutchins issue some corrections on multiple past ARSFI statements, some in FCC filings, that are less than truthful. I'm still waiting, since last July, for answers to reasonable questions asked about his out of control internet email bridge, Winlink Global Radio Email ®. Yup, it's trademarked :rolleyes:

NL7W and K0UO like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there not marine frequencies available where you can use Winmail?

K0UO likes this.
  10. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is also a commercial system that uses marine SSB.

N0TZU and KJ4VTH like this.