ad: w3ff

ARRL Band Plan suggestions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Feb 4, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, so I was hoping N4OX would clarify his remarks and answer the question that was ask, why don't they upgrade? RAC

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

20200212_173403.jpg

W9RAC likes this.
  3. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

be careful what you wish for... CW is the narrowest of the digital modes (not to mention the first).

4. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

All digital is not created equal.

Pactor-4 can go up to around 3kHz, perhaps more.

K8PG likes this.
  5. WA7WJR

WA7WJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[TODAYS_RANT]

I agree with you about learning material in lieu of memorizing; however I take exception to your assertion that merely taking an exam to answer a bunch of purposeless questions differentiates one as an 'accomplished amateur operator.' What exactly would you consider an "accomplished amateur operator?"

How did you earn privilege's? By passing a test? Is the work required to "earn privileges" to memorize tidbits of information (some useful and some absolutely meaningless in today's context) to pass the exam?

Since getting my general about 3 years ago some of my 'accomplishments' include...
    • taught myself CW to 20 wpm (although sometimes my fist gets sloppy when rag chewing due to CTS)
    • built a G5RV (easy) and 3 wire antennas with loading coils (more that didn't quite work the way I wanted)
    • assembled an Elecraft K2, a K2/100, and a KAT100 from kits (and learned to troubleshoot problems)
    • completed WAS for phone & CW
    • recently completed DXCC (all CW with my US call, need about 35 more with my VN call)
    • installed a ham radio on my sailboat and operate /MM from the Pacific
    • operate QRP from remote locations in Canada and Washington state
    • assembled and coded a portable weather station with Arduino board and sensors for my 'shacks' & dxpeditions
    • work phone, CW, and digital modes (now starting to look at JS8Call)
    • participate in some contests, but love chasing special event stations and IOTA and rag chewing
    • recently installed a 52' tower at my primary QTH, and in the process of putting together a SteppIr DB18E
    • made several "holiday dxpeditions" and activated several locations in Vietnam (including Phu Quoc and Con Son Islands) with k2/100 & wire / Buddipole antenna setups
    • took First Place in the 2018 Oceania DX Contest for Vietnam (from Con Son Island),
    • just applied for my licenses for upcoming 'holiday dxpeditions' activating atolls in Kiribati and Federated States of Micronesia, and also in the Marshall Islands and Northern Mariana Islands (reciprocal privilege's) as I begin an extended Pacific crossing from Hawaii towards SE Asia (starting this July I plan to be on Kirimati and Fanning Islands).
    IMHO, I think I have accomplished quite a bit since October 2016. I also happen to think I've done A LOT of work (maybe not the "MOST"...but a lot) to actively participate in the hobby and grow my knowledge and advance my skills. Perhaps to some folks I am still not an "accomplished amateur operator" because I have not sat down to memorize mundane facts such as a requirement of a space station is to be able to terminate transmissions by telecommand at the direction of the FCC, or that Colpitts, Hartley and Pierce are the 3 types of oscillator circuits in amateur radio equipment. I'm absolutely positive I'll never operate from a space station. I am also pretty sure that knowing the difference between a Colpitts, Hartley, or Pierce oscillator circuit does not provide most of today's operators with any real practical value. However, I am glad I learned that beryllium oxide used in thermal conductors is toxic if inhaled. But, it's also safe to say I don't go around grinding up insulating materials and inhaling the particles.

Does not passing an extra exam mean that I will never be an 'accomplished radio operator, or that I have not done enough of the "MOST work?'

Personally, I am learning the things that are important to improve my knowledge and skills. Actively participating and learning new skills is more important to me and more practical to me than memorizing that positive feedback is supplied through a tapped coil in a Hartley oscillator. Also...and MOST importantly, I am having fun. And that my friends is a KEY point....this is a hobby...it should be fun!

But, in all honesty the elitist attitude of some hams who consider themselves superior is one of the reasons why some people who show initial interest in the hobby are turned off and find other activities to pursue. It is why some clubs have difficulty attracting new active members. Constantly putting up artificial obstacles and arbitrary restrictions to preserve some imagined sense of entitlement is not a prudent approach to preserve a hobby.

IMHO, it would be more productive to identify pathways to inspire greater interest and participation in our hobby.

[/TODAYS_RANT]

K8PG, W9AFB, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well BJ I could consider an amateur operator who is knowledgeable regarding the operating procedures, regulations and behavior followed by the implementation of those skills pertaining to their license class as being accomplished. I'm glad we can agree upon the educational process to achieve it, at least partially. 73 Rich

WA7WJR and K0UO like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After that list of self-congratulation...Pot, meet Kettle.

K2SOG, K8PG, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

If anyone is curious here's some number crunching.
    Total all band spectrum increase of 84.4% for ACDS
    80m is a 300% increase.
    40m is up a whopping 400%!! eating up 20% of the available RTTY/Data sub band.
    30m is only a 50% increase but chews up 30% of the band.

I quit at that point, kinda makes you wonder who influenced the decisions in some cases. 5kHz is okay on 17 & 12m but not okay on 30 , similar size sub bands so what's the difference?
    I'll wait until this makes it to the FCC before I comment further. I did submit some questions on the new ARRL Band Plan group, still in moderation :)

NL7W, K5WY, W9RAC and 1 other person like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I highly encourage you to log on to the new HF Committee's ARRL page on the league site.
    It was kind of hard for me to find. Antennas and Regulatory and logbook of the world were pretty easy to find, but here's the information.
    Most everyone that's made suggestions that they had put up and been pretty much against the overall proposals.

Screenshot_20200212-181222_Chrome.jpg

10. KC1KVU

KC1KVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, 10 is what I have privileges on and I monitor the activity map. Once I see connections being made in the Northeast, I give it a shot.
    Bud

K0UO likes this.