ad: Flexradio-1

ARRL and FCC Sign Memorandum to Implement New Volunteer

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1LKP, Apr 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just use a VFO?

There are some classic designs that are quite stable.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. N2EY

Why not?

If a CW signal isn't T9X, shouldn't they let the ham know?

3. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I do Jim! But I participate in a couple of yearly operating events where crystals = more points. One is the week-long Novice Rig Roundup and the other is yearly boatanchor theme in June for the Straight Key Century Club weekend sprint.

4. N2EY

Then you might benefit from a simple trick:

Build an outboard crystal oscillator using a small high-gain tube such as the 6AU6, 6AH6, etc., running from low, regulated voltages on plate and screen, designed for minimum crystal current, and operating unkeyed (runs all the time when in transmit). Then feed the output into the vintage rig.

No chirp, no clicks, no strain on the crystal. The same outboard oscillator can be used with multiple rigs. You can incorporate a number of sockets and a switch for quick QSY.

And with a bit of careful design, you can extend the usefulness of crystals. For example, in most vintage rigs, you can't use an 80 meter rock on 20, 15 or 10; there's too many multiplications involved.

But if the outboard crystal oscillator is set up to double from 80 to 40, you can often use an 80 meter crystal all the way up to 15 or even 10, depending on the rig.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KE4OH likes this.
  5. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And now, back to the ARRL and the VM program. Nothing will change because the FCC doesn't have the will and resources to do the needed enforcement, as so many others have already stated. This new program will only accomplish two things; Allow the ARRL to believe it is actually accomplishing something and thereby justifying its continued existence and it will line Riley's pockets. That's all folks.

K5VZD likes this.
  6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still working on a W.A.S.-OO! I'm getting closer...

KE4OH, ND6M and K0UO like this.