ARRL and FCC Sign Memorandum to Implement New Volunteer

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1LKP, Apr 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! I have a whole bunch of boatanchor gear. Some of the transmitters chirp if I don't tune up just so, especially with crystals. I have garnered a nice little collection of OO cards due to this. Always in connection with a known boatanchor operating event. Some OOs just prefer shooting fish in a barrel, I guess.

So, time will tell if I start getting chrip notices from the FCC/VM/whatever. If so, I'm hoping they will be printed on cards with a nice shade of yellow or pink. The white OO cards just don't look that impressive pinned up on my wall of shame ... ;)

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a HB PP 211 late 1920's design free running oscillator on CW to confirm 80M DXCC about 5-6 years ago. Those were always known as "Yoopers" due to the design and the antenna/feedline blowing around. I eventually stabilized it good enough so that it would stay in about a 500 Hz filter passband during a contest tyle exchange; during a ragchew they drifted a bit more but about the same as a 50's VFO rig.

A few OO's were a regular PITA and the worst ones received their OO card back and rolled on a toilet paper roll:eek::rolleyes: along with a photo of the breadboard rig. Two returned a nasty letter about having an illegal rig that was a disgrace to the hobby which I forwarded to the ARRL.

I havent used a crystal on HF since getting my General in 1956. I suspect many of the common WW2 surplus versions are now beyond help of even a good cleaning.

Carl

3. KE4OH

Actually, the few "real" FT-243 rocks that I have work just fine. I did have to clean one recently and that went well. The problem children are FT-243 holders with tiny modern sealed crystals inside. Many of them don't like the high current some of the old oscillators subject them to. They heat up during key-down and give a nice "yoooop". Judicious oscillator tuning helps minimize that. Also reworking the oscillators. But at some point, one's transmitter is no longer the original factory design. So, I am "OO bait" at times.

4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

True, If not handled correctly this solution could become a "major problem and a political disaster for hams in general. You have to be careful what she asked for and how you asked for it and what you agree to.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider yourself lucky.

There were many companies that made those crystals and some werent among the best. And I wont even get into that clown who sells those mini crystals inside the holders.

Crystals inside many boatanchor filters are also aging (losing activity) and drifting off frequency. Most of those Ive been able to clean and bring back on frequency as needed.

On the bench or in the que here for customers are a NC-183, RME-45, HRO-500, and Johnson Ranger...plus a NCL-2000 and Clipperton L.

Carl

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just use a VFO?

There are some classic designs that are quite stable.

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. N2EY

Why not?

If a CW signal isn't T9X, shouldn't they let the ham know?

8. KE4OH

Oh, I do Jim! But I participate in a couple of yearly operating events where crystals = more points. One is the week-long Novice Rig Roundup and the other is yearly boatanchor theme in June for the Straight Key Century Club weekend sprint.

9. N2EY

Then you might benefit from a simple trick:

Build an outboard crystal oscillator using a small high-gain tube such as the 6AU6, 6AH6, etc., running from low, regulated voltages on plate and screen, designed for minimum crystal current, and operating unkeyed (runs all the time when in transmit). Then feed the output into the vintage rig.

No chirp, no clicks, no strain on the crystal. The same outboard oscillator can be used with multiple rigs. You can incorporate a number of sockets and a switch for quick QSY.

And with a bit of careful design, you can extend the usefulness of crystals. For example, in most vintage rigs, you can't use an 80 meter rock on 20, 15 or 10; there's too many multiplications involved.

But if the outboard crystal oscillator is set up to double from 80 to 40, you can often use an 80 meter crystal all the way up to 15 or even 10, depending on the rig.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KE4OH likes this.
  10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And now, back to the ARRL and the VM program. Nothing will change because the FCC doesn't have the will and resources to do the needed enforcement, as so many others have already stated. This new program will only accomplish two things; Allow the ARRL to believe it is actually accomplishing something and thereby justifying its continued existence and it will line Riley's pockets. That's all folks.

K5VZD likes this.