ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Affiliated Contest Clubs criticize BOD actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

As the first 2018 ARRL Board of Directors meeting approaches (Jan 19-20) several large League affiliated regional radio clubs, from all across the USA, have expressed in emailed letters strong disagreement, concerns, suggestions and demands, in regard to recent Board actions and additional requested changes to Articles of Association and Bylaws, way beyond the Code of Conduct "stuff".

Florida Contest Club

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2018-01/msg00032.html

Northern California Contest Club

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2018-01/msg00008.html

Yankee Clipper Contest Club

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2018-01/msg00037.html

John W2GD posted a list of links that summarize recent ARRL actions and plans,

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2018-01/msg00025.html

I'm betting they are not nor will they be the only affiliated clubs or individual League members doing so. But don't wait too long.

73 de John - WØPV

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    W9LRM, K6TQ, AF6SA and 4 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info John. I was not aware of such an organized, and large set of groups requesting rescinding or opposing passage of the various suggestions of the bylaws.

Clearly a great deal more thought and input is in order before any changes are enacted through the ARRL board.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tabling the bylaw changes for now, and then considering different versions for any needed changes at a later board meeting. It shows respect for the membership and their much needed feedback. Furthermore there is absolutely no immediate NEED for adopting such changes: there is no big crisis with the membership nor the amateur radio service that requires immediate action. We'all just fine, thanks.

I fear that if such clear and compelling requests as you list are NOT heeded, that the board will not prove itself as a sustainable governing body for the ARRL. That would be tragic, and the outcome would be obvious.

In other words, LISTEN TO THE MEMBERS. And DON'T GET MARRIED TO THE WORDS: THINK about WHAT THEY MEAN:)

Please.

Chip W1YW

KD2BDA, AF6SA, NU4R and 8 others like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Notice how quiet the League is on this. They're hoping it all blows over....

N9UTJ, AI7PM, AF6SA and 5 others like this.
  4. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.myarrlvoice.org/
    Circumstantial evidence points to collusion by the ARRL Board ( or certain members) with the HOA lobby to harm radio amateurs. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....
    AF4RK

KI7HSB, W0TRS, W3JY/SK2022 and 7 others like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It accomplishes nothing to tell the board they are 'bad people'.

Instead, as an ARRL member, tell them what to do. In this case, table ALL the bylaw (and articles of association) changes pending additional input from the membership, and introduce only appropriate changes at a later board meeting, based upon that feedback.

If the board is unwilling to act on this feedback from the members then they are not doing the job they were privileged to task--by the membership. You may consider the outcome of that.

Other than writing my director, I have no contact with the League, nor interest in doing so on this matter. I am watchful on the board's actions on 19 Jan .

Actions --or in this case inaction-- are key to understanding the board's role, as perceived by the board itself.

That perception, and thus evidence of it, will determine, presumably, further circumstances and efforts.

Listen--to--the...membership.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    W8YIH, K1ZYM, K1TGX and 4 others like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

My ARRL affiliated club meets this weekend.

I can absolutely, positively guarantee you that this issue WILL be discussed.

K1ZYM, AF6SA, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AMEN! That's the last straw for me though. If the board is giving voting rights to members who are not elected by the membership, and if the BoD is picking winners and loser in elections (note the use of the word "if"), we need to put the brakes on and figure out why these accusations were made and how to rectify the distention among the ranks. Slamming things through without discussion is a sure way to alienate the membership.

K1ZYM, NK2U, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  8. W3LNA

W3LNA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Been a Life Member since 1976, I think, long time. I am appaled at what I read here. Has the board become a self-serving Oligarch? Time to replace them all I think. They say a fish rots from the head down so perhaps Tom Gallagher needs to find another job. He is the CEO and is ultimately responsible for the actions of his staff and the board.

K1ZYM, W3JY/SK2022, KD2BDA and 4 others like this.
  9. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

The board is Mr. Gallagher's boss, not the other way around.

ND0TS likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I'm terribly mistaken, Gallagher dances to the BoD's tune; not the other way around.

YY5GSF, WQ2H, K3FHP and 1 other person like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Drilling through the more recent online info and comments a couple struck a special cord with me. They are on the blog entry "New proposals would make ARRL board even less democratic" December 22, 2017 by dan kb6nu, which details the proposed AoI and Bylaw revisions.

-------------------

Comments

Frank Howell (K4FMH) says:

My State RACES Director told me today that there are numerous emails circulating from League HQ to state ARES officials about plans underway to centralize all ARES activities out of Newingtin. This is apparently after the poor PR in PR, so to speak.

The key change here is the new CEO. A financial sector corporation is not a largely volunteer organization. This is likely to continue down a bad road, I’m afraid.

--- also ---

Todd KD0TLS says:

There’s a certain internal consistency to the ARRL’s reasoning.

If you accept the premise that the League “runs” amateur radio, then a rigid corporate approach is the natural next step. In this paradigm, the ARRL is marketing a product.

As is usual in the corporate world, more control is the common ‘solution’. Also usual is that less accountability is built in, to allow leadership to make the tough and unpopular decisions that are needed for the future. In theory, this approach is more likely to yield increased value for the shareholders. Control of the product and its marketing is essential, from the top down.

For example, if Ford decides that a new minivan is the industry’s future, they don’t want a lot of subsidiaries pushing pickup trucks or sub-compacts instead.

Obviously, this approach is flawed fundamentally. The League is an advocacy organisation, not a company marketing a brand. Even if it were, its control of that brand is ephemeral. And there are no shareholders that will see increased value on their investments should the League succeed. But if you bring in people from the corporate world to shake things up, then it’s hardly surprising that they would bring this corporate paradigm with them.

To be fair, we got to this point by hams expecting the League to “do something” about the problems facing amateur radio, as if the ARRL “ran” the hobby. And this expectation arose because the FCC has handed off virtually every responsibility that it legally can to third parties like the ARRL. In turn, this came about because the FCC’s responsibilities are tailored to the world of the 1930’s.

As operators, we need to decide what the role of the League is. That’s not as clear-cut as many would believe. The League has responsibilities that go beyond the usual advocacy group, and their success as an advocate is unimpressive. With the new FCC leadership, it’s highly possible that their influence will diminish even further. This isn’t the League’s fault, but they will get the blame.

I am not speaking in support of these changes; merely explaining the internal logic that drives them.
    -----------------

In other words, this is a bad case of an attempt at "the tail wagging the dog", starting with the relatively new chief exec (the "tail") forming a (potentially unethical) coalition with other officers and some on the BOD, who are otherwise supposed to be HIS boss (the "head") while communicating with and being elected by members (the DOG ;))

That's not saying there is a ... nefarious ... (my pet word;-) motive either, or "bad people" are involved. On the contrary, erroneous judgments and decisions have been made with perfectly justified good intentions, formed by an arrogantly faulty process under the mistaken belief that the ends justify the means.

73 de John - WØPV

W8YIH, KI7HSB, N5PZJ and 6 others like this.
  12. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. K5IGI

K5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree, can you say "grease the skid" or "palm" as the case maybe. That is what lobbies do best after all.

14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would argue that League members are, in effect, "shareholders" who will see increased value in amateur radio should the League succeed.

KD8RW and W0PV like this.
  15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not in my reading the CEO's coments. What is says, in my reading over many editorials, statements and available minutes is that the BoD sets policy and the staff carries it out as they see fit, but can only force change by firing he CEO. The CEO has stated his responsibility is to the corporation and the employees it provides salaries to. He apears to me to want to just run the League like a corporation, not a membership organization. We in he SE Division are 'blessed' with a non-elected Director because the excellent honorable retired LEO Director would not sit by and follow the not yet established code of conduct. They use the ethics committee as a hammer to quiet descent. The board is not infallible and has made big mistakes in he past, IMHO, and present. Unlike a corporation, where interested people can garner a large percentage of votes, the membership can only effect one Division at a time. There are some good Directors(starting with those voting against the new CoC and it would be a mistake to vote out all sitting directors, but could someone submit others that will not destroy the League that Maxim built and supports amateur radio?

Respectfully,
    K3FHP
    Licensed since 1961, Life Member since 1972

K8BZ, W3JY/SK2022 and AF6SA like this.