ARRL 2019 Key Competition

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NV1Q, Sep 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NV1Q

NV1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

The winners of the 2019 Key Competition were announced in the October QST issue. Unfortunately (or deliberately), the ARRL praised a silly design of a non-winning Halloween key more than real ingenuity. There was not one word used to describe the individual design or uniqueness of the four winners' key entry.

Highlights of the Opto-Keyer (Category Paddle):
    - Solid bronze construction
    - Optical switches in place of mechanical contacts

If you would like a complete set of documentation that was submitted to the ARRL for the contest, click on the link below. It also includes detailed CAD generated construction drawings.

Juergen, NV1Q

http://www.hcra.org/opto-keyer

W1TRY likes this.
  2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it was fun to see the different designs that were submitted for the contest.

3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful job. Congratulations. My father was an excellent self taught machinist. He would have loved to have taught me but it wasn't my interest at the time. I wish now I had a second chance, but I'm afraid it's too late. Good job!

4. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very innovative/intricate. Well done!

5. NV1Q

NV1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  6. NV1Q

NV1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

7. NV1Q

NV1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, I have a 3 1/2 years apprenticeship as a Tool & Die Maker. That training certainly helps.

8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeurgen, that is a beautiful key! Congratulations. You could probably make and sell those.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too. And kudos to the League for doing this.

WB1GCM and WE4B like this.
  10. NV1Q

NV1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I published the construction drawings, so people can find a good machine shop and have it made. What was also important to me was the release of the optical switch. Now it becomes "prior art" and no key manufacturer can patent this concept.

KB2FCV and KJ4VTH like this.