ad: elecraft

ARRL 10-Meter Contest: CW & Phone (Worldwide)

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K6DWI, Nov 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

KD2UHD, DM2TT, KA2FIR and 2 others like this.
  2. KC3NDU

KC3NDU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking forward to working this contest again this year.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the band is open I'll play in the contest

4. KC3NDU

I'm going to give it a solid attempt this weekend. As of right now in the Northeast, it doesn't look good. Just tested qrp with an op 30 miles away on a efhw and a vertical. Nothing heard.

5. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah it will likely be pretty tough on us little pistols. A KW and 7 elements might push some RF through.... But hey, we're Hams and thrive on adversity. Right?

KN4TWV likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You might be pleasantly surprised. When 10 meters is open, 3 watts will work the world. I've done it many many times over the years.

When 10 is closed, a KW and 7 elements won't make any difference whatsoever.

In fact, it's one of the very best "100 watts and a wire" bands that we have when it's open. And it's a big fat dummy load band when it's closed.

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, W5BIB, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  7. KM4OZ

I appreciate an optimist... we'd better hope for some "atypical" propagation modes what with ZERO sunspots. Meteors? Ducting? Duct Tape?

8. KC3NDU

Gemini meteor shower is in the works. Gotta dig out the duct tape!

9. KC3NDU

Wouldn't this contest be better in the summer months? Sept may be better than Dec. Or am I mistaken.

10. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the first hour of the contest is any indication it will not be a good contest weekend. I worked a grand total of 5 stations in the first hour. 2 on SSB and 3 on CW and ALL of them in my state of Oregon. Tuned the band from top to bottom and except for the 5 I worked zip, nada. After I went QRT for the night I looked at the telnet spots and they were meager.

11. KC3NDU

2 hours, 8 contacts. 4 states. Pa, CT, NY, NJ. All cw, qrp.

W7UUU likes this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Things are jumping right now even here on the "dark side" !!

Dave
    W7UUU

10m.JPG

KD2UHD likes this.
  13. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy Smoke !…. Just worked FR4KR(Reunion Island)

They suddenly appeared while I was trying to work stations in South America during the contest.

Running an ICOM 7300 and a portable 20 meter vertical
    73 K4BAD Harry

N0VFJ and KD2UHD like this.
  14. N3IOE

N3IOE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A good analysis of the situation, Dave. A couple high sunspot cycles ago, the band was open almost 24/7. If you weren't working Europe, you were working dozens of JA's one after another. All in the Northeastern U.S. with an indoor one half wave dipole, QRP. Hopefully in a couple years those magnificent conditions will be back.

15. KM4OZ

Indeed. Today is not that day.

W1JIM likes this.