Army BC-314-D Receiver

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KK4NSF, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello ALL,
    In my constant search for cool and unusual radios, I've run across a US Army BC-314-D Receiver for sale, and am pondering whether or not it is a good project to tackle. I've got the skills and resources, but wonder if it's worth the effort.

I don't have any pics to post at the moment, but overall the radio is in fair condition.... ie- from the outside, it looks complete. Unfortunately, I can't open it up to look inside since the little knobs / latches are frozen up... as are some of the knobs. The paint on the outside is badly cracked, but is not flaking off. SO.... essentially it's a guessing game as to if it's restorable.

It is not usable on SW or Ham bands, since it's range is ~100kc to 1500kc... but it would make a fun AM Broadcast-band and a LW receiver. ALSO, according to the manual, it has a dynamotor insted a of an HV transformer. If it's still good, then no problem, but if it's bad it might be hard to replace.

So.... what do you guys think?

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NSF:

Running the receiver from a dynamotor can be very problematic. The primary difference between the BC-314 and the AC operated BC-344 is the fact that the dynamotor is replaced with the military RA-20 AC power supply.

If I were to obtain the BC-314, I would go ahead and build an equivalent of the RA-20 and install it in the receiver replacing the dynamotor.

Glen, K9STH

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That was what I was thinking.... and since I can't look inside, I've decided to pass on that particular radio. Given the condition outside, my guess is that restoring it would be problematic.

Thanks for the info