ad: AbAuRe-1

ARLB011 Amateur Radio Parity Act Language Inserted in National Defense Authorization Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9PBD, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Um ... if you read, that's not quite what I said. Put some TEETH into this and they'll sit down and talk. This crap just makes for a bunch of court cases most hams can't afford.

WQ4G and KK5JY like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

As you have discovered, there are still a few people left who view any criticism of the bill as "you hate radio." :rolleyes:

3. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most people don’t hate radio, it’s I don’t understand how bills are made. The HOA (CAI) Industry as represented here read by CAI, show how bills have to be compromised in order to get them pass everybody’s special interest group. This is just a fact of legislative life and no postulation by anybody Will change that fact of life. ARRL Did the best job they can do under the circumstances, the negotiations with CAI Came off surprisingly well because CAR he does not understand amateur radio nor the FCC. The rule making process is Something Novel to The folks outside The communications industry. In PRB 1, The FCC did not want to be bothered by private land dealings and HOAs, Now this bill has the potential to make the FCC put a limitation on CC and Rs since it directs the FCC to now get involved.

Two sets of people are not going to be happy with this bill, the hams and the HOAs! But it is what it is and in the end the hams will get something.

4. KW5M/SK2023

KW5M/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry guys but i feel like i just got a whole barrel full of cherry flavored smoke blew right up my butt......Jesus, do all those educated people think we just dropped in here from Mars? I am absolutely astonished and worried as to whether or not our nation will survive another ten or twenty years with so many educated assholes spending my tax dollars and member dollars for such absolutely brilliant extravaganza's of brain waves.......whew boy!!!!

5. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason is "effective antennas" whatever they are, never seen one listed for sale. I almost fell off my chair when some genius at HQ said PR had no outside antenna restrictions and could put up the aforementioned "effective" antennas. I almost sent him a note to let him know most outside antennas on the island were damaged or destroyed, evidently pictures of the devastation escaped them in their rush for a photo op. :rolleyes:

7. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good!

Section 1083--Amateur Radio Parity

This section would require the Federal Communications
    Commission to amend section 97.15 of title 47, Code of Federal
    Regulations, to prohibit the application of any private land
    use restriction to amateur radio stations in a manner that
    would preclude communications in an amateur radio service.

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You cannot override the lawful authority of the CAI to govern and maintain controls over their respective property developments.

But you can propose legislation that makes it unlawful for the CAI (HOA's) to write rules banning outdoor antennas. This is what is being done here.

Keep in mind, even OTARD maintains the idea of HOA's remaining in control of their respective property developments.

There's no way around that reality and HOA's will always be a part of ANY outdoor antenna installation regardless of what kind / type of antenna structure it is going to be.

Just to be clear, this could be Ham radio antennas, satellite dishes, TV antennas, cell phone towers, or any other kind of outdoor antenna structure at an HOA.... it doesn't matter.

Some people want more out of this bill than what is legally possible to do, but whatever wording is used and written in this bill, there will always be a part written to indicate an HOA will have some authority and involvement in the matter, and that's the bottom line.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, whatever that is. At MF, an "effective" antenna tends to be larger. At VHF-up, an "effective" antenna can be smaller but, to be "effective", it needs to be above and in the clear of larger structures and vegetation (low to the ground mostly sucks). More bands often means more antennas.

And then, there's the question of increased public need or convenience. All indication provided by ARRL and its followers shows (if anything) that public need and convenience is being met, or there is decreased public need. So, what's left? IMO, it's all about WANT. Hams WANT to ragchew/DX/contest from their homes using outdoor antennas (and there are alternatives). ARRL and their advertisers WANT to increase their bottom lines.

Keep in mind that, MOST people (about 3 in 4) in the US live in homes w/o an HOA. The legislation is being presented as solving a problem that mostly doesn't exist.

K0IDT likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

The problem is HOA's banning outdoor ham radio antennas, or ANY ham radio antennas for that matter.

The bill proposes a way to address and resolve this problem.

To suggest these antenna bans don't exist at HOA's is simply not an accurate statement or conclusion. It is easily proven and demonstrated to be the case at a large majority of HOA's across the country.

W8LV likes this.
  11. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.... Exactly!

KC8VWM likes this.
  12. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

No.... It mostly DOES exist. And in large parts of the Country. And this bill will REMEDY that... it helps acheive...Parity!

"to prohibit the application of any private land
    use restriction to amateur radio stations in a manner that
    would preclude communications in an amateur radio service."

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

KC8VWM likes this.
  13. WA7PRC

The problem is a tiny minority of hams WANTing government to overturn their freely-signed contracts/agreements/promises/whatever, so they can erect outdoor antennas for the purpose of ragchewing.
    This, while approximately 3 in 4 properties are not in a HOA, and there are viable alternatives.

I never stated (nor even suggested) antenna bans don't exist. However, since MOST properties aren't in a HOA (and therefore, on the whole, there aren't many antenna bans), there just isn't much of a problem.

IOW, this legislation is a solution looking for a problem.

Nationally, about three in four properties are not in a HOA.

14. KC8VWM

You are certainly entitled to support HOA's and their position to continue their unjustified bans against all ham radio antennas.

Some of us would prefer not to do that.

We do this mostly because as hams, we care about the preservation of the amateur radio service for others in the future.

HOA's have grown exponentially from 10,000 in 1970 to approx 350,000 in 2015. The trend strongly suggests the HOA explosion across the USA is not slowing down anytime soon.

Along with this explosion are boilerplate bans against ham radio antennas which do not help the amateur radio service. We oppose this growing trend to ban ham radio antennas at HOA's across the country.

You can join us if you like, ...or not. Either way you choose and regardless what is said, it doesn't change the fact that despite all the opposition to this bill, it remains a milestone achievement for the preservation of the amateur radio service and it's about to become law in this country.

15. WA7PRC

Unjustified = opinion.

On the surface, that would seem to be an altruistic statement. However, considering that in the US, hams are about 750K/315M (about 0.25%), maybe not.

Over 1970-2015 (45 years), much has changed. 10K to 350K = 10K ^1.385 (a small exponent). In the recent past, even less.

And, what does the Amateur Radio service offer in return? In your most recent words, nothing.

And again, you speak for others? How many others?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.