ad: Flexradio-1

ARISS Joins NASA On-The-Air for a Special SSTV Event October 27-29

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8HM, Oct 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur Radio On The International Space Station (ARISS) is planning a very special Slow Scan TV event currently scheduled to start Saturday, October 27th about 10:00 UTC. Transmissions are scheduled to continue until around 19:30 UTC on October 29th. Helping to support the event will be NASA’s Space, Communication and Navigation (SCaN) Department.

The Space Communications and Navigation (SCaN) program manages NASA’s three most important communications networks: The Space Network (SN), Near Earth Network (NEN), and the Deep Space Network (DSN).

Just as in past ARISS SSTV commemorations, twelve images will be downlinked, but this time with six featuring the SCaN educational activities while the other six images will commemorate major NASA anniversaries, ie., when NASA was established, astronauts first landing on the moon, etc.

In addition to the fun of receiving these images, participants can qualify for a special endorsement for the NASA On The Air (NOTA) celebration event. To learn more about NOTA visit https://nasaontheair.wordpress.com.

Once received, images can be posted and viewed at http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_SSTV/index.php. The transmissions are expected to be broadcast at the usual frequency of 145.800 MHz using the PD-120 SSTV mode.

Please note that the event is dependent on other activities, schedules and crew responsibilities on the ISS and are subject to change at any time.

More information will follow soon, so please continue to check for news and the most current information on the AMSAT.org and ARISS.org websites, the AMSAT-BB@amsat.org, the ARISS Facebook at Amateur Radio On The International Space Station (ARISS) page and ARISS Twitter @ARISS_status.

[​IMG]

KE8KNI, IW2CYS, KE7DRT and 3 others like this.
  2. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the first I have heard about the year long, almost over, Nasa On The Air event. I do enjoy some SSTV though.

3. UA1CCE

UA1CCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm the hope to see or conduct a QSO. 73! de UA1CCE

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

just a FYI
    As they went over here (EN92LX) @12:05 utc
    found them on 145.484Mhz - not the usual 145.8
    sstv was pd120 format
    packet was on the usual 145.825
    using a RTLSDR & IC9100

upload_2018-10-27_8-36-4.png

73, VE3CGA Bob

5. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

They corrected the frequency on Oct 28, this is when I received some images.

6. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I received a few images. I don't have the best of setup, an Ed Fong dualband with a lossy line (I live in a condo, it's complicated) and using a Icom 208H to a SignalinkUSB and running MMSSTV. The big improvement was disappearance of some kind of Part 15 device noise which would prevent me receiving signals from ISS. It disappeared only two weeks ago.

Here are my best images. ISS_10-28-18_3.JPG 10-29-18_1248Z.JPG

7. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got my packet cable interface for my dual band rig a few days before this event, which was just in time. Over the course of 36 hours I managed to capture 7 of the 12 images. For me this was a first to receive anything in orbit which was pretty cool