ARES Connect — MIA?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Jan 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG7LEA

KG7LEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking for current information on the ARRL's ARES Connect program that sought to inventory public service groups and individual amateur radio volunteers. I found nothing on the web site. As I read it, the League hoped to resolve issues that arose with the Force of Fifty during Hurricane Maria, e.g., basic training standards.

2. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I belong to two ARES units, and don't see it being used.

4. KG7LEA

Email received January 11
    The ARRL with input from users of ARESCONNECT has done a Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) and determined ARESCONNECT is not meeting the needs of ARES members, ARES leadership and the ARRL. Based on this analysis the ARRL has decided to not renew it’s contract with the company that provides ARESCONNECT services.

N4CKC likes this.
  5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

And we'll send them CQ magazines as compensation ;)

6. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARES Connect is still in use until a replacement goes on line.

7. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not according to ARRL.

"All ARRL Sections that have been using ARES Connect should plan to transition to the ARES Form 4 reporting form until a replacement system is identified. ARRL HQ will continue to support ARES Connect through June 30, 2021."

8. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So we foot soldiers at the County level who do use the system are supposed to stop reporting our hours? Is it a big secret?

9. KG7LEA

Why report hours to ARRL, so someone can go, gee whiz? My emergency manager can use this information and we report to her.

10. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried several times to use ARES Connect last year. Most times I could not find an event that I had participated in. If the event was listed I found no instructions on how to enter my participation. There were so many acronyms used that I could not decipher what group or event was listed. It was so user unfriendly that I gave up.