ad: M2Ant-1

Arecibo on 432 MHz Moon Bounce

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA0EMX

WA0EMX Ham Member QRZ Page

ARECIBO event seems very worthwhile to me...

Note the observation from AI3V that ARECIBO, as a spherical reflector, allows multiple simultaneous feedpoints. From this one can conclude that this experiment is using feedpoint(s) unscheduled by other scientific projects; perhaps even allowing multiple projects using different frequencies simultaneous use of the antenna.

More to the point, "our tax dollars" should, in fact, justify use of the facility by the Amateur Radio community on such a very occasional basis. Why should its use be limited only to high dollar private sector grant based or wholly government sponsored projects?

Furthermore, this ARECIBO event is easily justifiable on the same basis as the ISS program providing for Space Station-to-Classroom and other similar public venue interactive communications events.

One cannot over-estimate the value of encouragement to pursue science education and careers such activities give to future engineers, scientists and to the public... and in this case to both younger and older Radio Amateurs but especially to our newer brother and sister Hams.

All things considered it seems very much worth the utilization of this remarkable facility. I hope additional, similar ARECIBO events can be scheduled periodically in the future as was the case in the 1960s and 70s.

2. W4VDW

W4VDW Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like fun!:)
    Wish I could transmit UHF from here.:mad:

3. XV9AA

XV9AA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is really going to be exciting! I'll put my 16EL Yagi with 50W output to work to see if it is really possible to communicate with the Arecibo on UHF :)

4. AB9TE

AB9TE Ham Member QRZ Page

New to moon bounce and have a question

I am curious, According to the satellite tracking program on HRD it says the moon wont even be in range for my location during the hours that they will be operating, i am located in WI, EN54tg, which isnt to many hours time differance from arecibo, so my question is, wouldnt it be out of range for them too? or is the HRD sat program not accurate for moon bounce type of stuff. basically just wondering if ill be able to work it or not. im guessing its kind of a "if u can see the moon u can work it" kind of deal.

73's

5. KE4FSL

KE4FSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hanoi Coordinates: 21°2′0″N 105°51′00″E
    Arecibo Coordinates: 18°20′39″N 66°45′10″W

Hope you have a tower, a rather tall one. I'm not too sure how far east they can beam steer that monster... :D

6. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KI6OID

KI6OID Ham Member QRZ Page

Arecibo moonbounce on 432mhz

How often does Arecibo do this, is this a one shot deal or annually?

My Icom 91A and 208H can't do it so I need time to get a decent rig.

Mike
    KI6OID

8. AB9TE

AB9TE Ham Member QRZ Page

Never mind, i calculated the time wrong, lol, must have been all the excitement clouding my mind.

9. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Arecibo Coverage Maps

Arecibo Coverage Maps

Russ, K2TXB has made available coverage maps for the Arecibo 432.045 MHz EME transmissions from Puerto Rico on April 16-18.

He writes:

It seems to me that there are a lot of guys asking questions about the Arecibo operation, wanting to know if and when they can work them. So I have put up three pages on my web site that show the ground coverage that the Arecibo dish will have on each of the days of operation.
    Go to: http://www.k2txb.com/

The first three links will show you the times and coverage for each of the three days. Generally the moon will be high in the sky when you can work them, so you should expect to build up some sort of temporary support structure that will allow you to aim your antenna up and manually position it to point at the moon. Ideally the support structure should be as low to the ground as possible and still allow the back of the antenna to clear the earth when pointed up.

If you can see the Moon, all it will take is a visual aiming. Lay on your back under the antenna and sight along the boom to verify that the boom is pointed straight at the Moon. For short antennas this is not very critical and generally within 10-20 degrees will work.

If you cannot see the Moon (due to cloud cover) then you need a program to tell you where the Moon is, from your location at the current time. Then you will need a way to measure and set the elevation and the azimuth of the antenna. Elevation can be measured easily with a level and a protractor, or a simple gravity operated inclinometer such as sold for a few dollars in most any hardware store.

Azimuth can be measured with a compass, but make sure you take into account the offset in your area between true north and magnetic north. An easy way to determine how much offset you need for your compass headings is to see how much difference there is between your compass heading and the location of the Sun. Any Moon program will also show Sun locations so this is easy.

The web pages that I put up are Q&D (Quick and Dirty). Maybe I will enhance them with a little more information in the coming days.

Very 73,
    Russ K2TXB

FN20MB (MB for Moon Bounce)

http://www.k2txb.com/

Moon-Net Email reflector
    http://list-serv.davidv.net/mailman/listinfo/moon-net_list-serv.davidv.net

Arecibo on 432 MHz Moon Bounce April 16-18
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/april2010/arecibo_432_moonbounce.htm

10. AA4F

AA4F Ham Member QRZ Page

Where to find the moon?

After playing with an astronomy program I found out the location of the Moon. The moon will be just east of the Sun on Friday and Sightly more east of the Sun on Saturday and Sunday.

It may be hard to find on Friday because it will be a Very New Moon! Just a small crescent!

It will be Almost Straight up from South Alabama so plan on your mount being able to aim your antenna straight up! Check the location of the Sun at noon any day this week!

AA4F

11. W1RS

W1RS Ham Member QRZ Page

Rain Forecast all three days in New England

I plan to try with a single 22 element yagi and 50 watts (limited due to proximity to Otis AFB).

Can anybody comment on how much effect the rain will have with an azimuth of 60 to 70 degrees? I know it depends on how hard it is raining, but is there a fair chance of making it, or should I just forget it and go to the 36th EASTERN VHF/UHF CONFERENCE scheduled for this weekend. :confused:

12. EA4BGH

EA4BGH Ham Member QRZ Page

What about 1.296 ?

Will Arecibo be active also on 1G2 band?
    Is there any schedule and QRG for that?

13. XV9AA

XV9AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, I would need the whole Babylon tower in this case... :D It's regrettable that I couldn't see Arecibo but working EME with other hams out there is really exciting :)

14. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Friend here in Indy could hear them but did not work them. I missed this. Hope they do this again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.