ad: AlphaRF-1

Arecibo on 432 MHz Moon Bounce

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

These guys are limited by the "KTB" noise of the moon!

Their antenna has so much gain (and therefore such narrow beamwidth), that 100% of the antenna beam is aimed at the moon.

This causes the noise temperature of the Earth station to be equal to the physical temperature of the moon.

This means a bigger RX antenna would have no additional improvement!!!, Or, There RX S+N/N is completely dependent on your TX EIRP.

If you ever wanted to try 70CM EME, this will be your "best chance"

[​IMG]

http://www.naic.edu/public/the_telescope.htm

The reflector is 1000' in diameter, and is not parabolic, but spherical, This allows multiple feedpoints on the dish at the same time. Note the cars in the picture for scale.:eek:

Rege

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice but not knowing much about the position of the moon on those days, can someone put it in plain English for the east coast of the USA? How about a UTC schedule?

K2WH

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just look outside. It's that big round thingy way out there.,

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KB3X

KB3X Guest

Our tax dollars being used as a multimillion dollar toy?

5. KG4KKN

KG4KKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Subtract 4 hours from UTC to get Eastern time.

April 16: 1245 - 1530 EDT Friday
    April 17: 1340 - 1620 EDT Saturday
    April 18: 1440 - 1725 EDT Sunday

Does that help?

These sessions are taking place during the day and the moon will be new on April 14 so there will not be much of a moon target to aim at or see.

Consult a moon position guide to get aiming info for your area. For me, it is south-southeast, rather high off the horizon. Need to make a yagi, fast.

6. WA0EMX

WA0EMX Ham Member QRZ Page

ARECIBO event seems very worthwhile to me...

Note the observation from AI3V that ARECIBO, as a spherical reflector, allows multiple simultaneous feedpoints. From this one can conclude that this experiment is using feedpoint(s) unscheduled by other scientific projects; perhaps even allowing multiple projects using different frequencies simultaneous use of the antenna.

More to the point, "our tax dollars" should, in fact, justify use of the facility by the Amateur Radio community on such a very occasional basis. Why should its use be limited only to high dollar private sector grant based or wholly government sponsored projects?

Furthermore, this ARECIBO event is easily justifiable on the same basis as the ISS program providing for Space Station-to-Classroom and other similar public venue interactive communications events.

One cannot over-estimate the value of encouragement to pursue science education and careers such activities give to future engineers, scientists and to the public... and in this case to both younger and older Radio Amateurs but especially to our newer brother and sister Hams.

All things considered it seems very much worth the utilization of this remarkable facility. I hope additional, similar ARECIBO events can be scheduled periodically in the future as was the case in the 1960s and 70s.

7. W4VDW

W4VDW Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like fun!:)
    Wish I could transmit UHF from here.:mad:

8. XV9AA

XV9AA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is really going to be exciting! I'll put my 16EL Yagi with 50W output to work to see if it is really possible to communicate with the Arecibo on UHF :)

9. AB9TE

AB9TE Ham Member QRZ Page

New to moon bounce and have a question

I am curious, According to the satellite tracking program on HRD it says the moon wont even be in range for my location during the hours that they will be operating, i am located in WI, EN54tg, which isnt to many hours time differance from arecibo, so my question is, wouldnt it be out of range for them too? or is the HRD sat program not accurate for moon bounce type of stuff. basically just wondering if ill be able to work it or not. im guessing its kind of a "if u can see the moon u can work it" kind of deal.

73's

10. KE4FSL

KE4FSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hanoi Coordinates: 21°2′0″N 105°51′00″E
    Arecibo Coordinates: 18°20′39″N 66°45′10″W

Hope you have a tower, a rather tall one. I'm not too sure how far east they can beam steer that monster... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.