Arecibo Observatory to be Demolished

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0HCP, Nov 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If radio astronomers have their say, a replacement (unfortunately) will not be built. The fashion is to eschew 'single dish apertures' in favor of flat arrays that can be re-configured and self powered. We MUST self-power to be, oh, so, good to mother earth!

Believe me, mother earth never had it as good as when people went from barbarians to technologists.

I disagree with that 'green' approach as all inclusive, and I hold the patent on flat arrays that are self powered (see, for example, USP's 10483649 (especially claims 1,2, and 7); 10854987 issuing Dec 1. ) If someone champions 'aperture engines' as the way to go instead of singles dishes--a gross conclusion--they will find themselves not eligible for any form of license (particularly a 'free' one). I believe there are already people at Caltech trying to get money for that 'new' (hahah!) approach. Rude awakening ahead methinks.

So how about that-- an inventor saying there is plenty of room, in this case , for classic and synthetic aperture optics.

I fully support re-building AO as a single-science radio astronomical dish. Get rid of the add-on doo-dads that add cost and add weight!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    WE4B and KM1H like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

What about several , like 100 or more, 30-50' dishes or larger scattered around the planet? The computer power to use them in a constantly changing diversity system didnt exist not that long ago

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Carl,

That the idea behind the SKA, and VLBI.

Oftentimes its sheer collecting area that's needed, and single dishes--large ones-- are the most efficient in that case.

4. KE8OQZ

KE8OQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

More like $320 million to repair it. At least that is what was being passed around here at GBO.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine that could be the case as all-in, with a fair amount of over engineering built into that :) To take it to level 2 instead of level 8 is, in part, the differential between about 100M to 320 M. Also, you are looking at all-in costs (including radar), not single-science use.

Not building a pyramid:) In any case, get rid of cm radar. Too expensive. Too limited a declination range for AO.

GBO focused on single-science. Right approach.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please no political references.

Thank you

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KB1MCT

KB1MCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought it would be a neat place to visit. First time I remember seeing it referenced was in an episode of the X-Files, way back in the 90s when I was but a wee lad.

8. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hubble is 30 years old, the ISS is 20 years old and a research facility that I do work for is 52 years old and just went through a $40M upgrade and and a $57M upgrade will be completed over the next 5 years. In all cases there is a champion who markets existing and new research opportunities, evolves the equipment and data gathering capabilities, attracts key talent and grant writers, advertises the research successes and passes the leadership and visionary torch to another highly talented and well-connected person when the time comes.

For whatever reason, AO hasn't been able to attract and keep a champion for the facility.

9. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure wish they have plans to replace it. Just imagine plugging your SDR into that baby! Before it crashed that is.

10. KD5KKH

KD5KKH Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont comment on here much but it is a sad day for our world,our country and man when we let this happen.Let's all try to not let it happen again we all benefit

N2IPH likes this.