ad: portazero-1

Arecibo Observatory to be Demolished

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0HCP, Nov 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a number of reasons for this; basically the NSF claimed it wanted private donors, but in fact they chased them away. Too many restrictions.

UCF tried but did a poor job, IMO. It's not just a question of hiring fund raising staff and working email lists.

The astronomical community, most of the time, has forgotten its 'private donor' roots and fallen into the 'consensus funding' paradigm.

2. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

0C685AF6-3171-4132-A7C8-36F6F3951417.jpeg
    1990-1993. Worked my share of DX with a vertical and a TS-520S. Several QSO’s QRP! (Heathkit HW-8)

my home was almost at the eastern-most edge of PR (near Ceiba, PR)

3. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

WEBAreciboDishDamage.jpg This photo provided by the Arecibo Observatory, shows the damage done by a broken cable.
    It sort of ruins the outdoor play-area, doesn't it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  4. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps a privately funded repair?

KF4ZKU likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That photo was from August. The latest damage to the dish itself is far more extensive. The dish isn't the issue anymore, its whether the 800 ton platform (above it) is going to fall.

Chip W1YW

GM4BRB and N2IPH/SK2022 like this.
  6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Or Jeff Bezos :cool:
    A slice from Amazon Black Friday Sales should be sufficient :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

KF2ZZ, PY2NEA and WB9YTG like this.
  7. KF4VAR

KF4VAR Ham Member QRZ Page

If they can get the feed point platform down without a catastrophic failure why not put a much lighter Cassegrian reflector in its place on new cables.... and put the electronics down at dish level. one problem with doing it this way may be additional attenuation but the Cassegrian reflector would weigh less than what is up there on cable. Also I dont know how steerable the telescope is i.e. how much they can move various instruments at the feed point to change the objective.....being able to somewhat steer the aimpoint by slewing an instrument to illuminate one part of the reflector more than others might obviate a Cassegrian solution. As an earlier poster suggested a Gregorian solution might work.

If anyone here is so interested this is a site with a lot of radio astronomy fundamentals

https://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/radio-school/2011/talks/Parkes-school-Fundamental-II.pdf

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  8. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was born and raised in PR and never had the chance to visit the place!

9. N2IPH/SK2022

N2IPH/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

"AO was never able to 'see' the whole sky, nor was it designed for that."

Yes, that was my comment about needing both FAST and Arecibo and
    yes I understand searching for NEOs is not its primary mission.

Sorry for the typo, sticky fingers I guess when I posted that.

10. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny how there was enough money to build it in the first place, but not enough money to maintain and fix it. Of course, that is the way it goes with a lot of the US's infrastructure.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Cassegrains are for point feeds...spherical dishes have line feeds. Gregorians convert line foci to point focus.

The dish is spheroid so it can track and not be a transit instrument. Can't do that with a Cassegrain on a spheroid.

W1TRY likes this.
  12. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cassegrain! won't blame you not being fluent in French, but misspelling a so well known scientist name is impardonnable, Wouff Hong applies for less.

13. KF4VAR

KF4VAR Ham Member QRZ Page

yep a typo and not reading before pressing post reply. Thanks very much for catching this. Misspelled it a number of times as well. "NO EXCUSES!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD"

W1YW likes this.
  14. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Probably a cheaper replacement and possibly much larger would be in space, station keeping, geo locked, somewhere between earth and the moon.

No corrosion and serviceable.

15. KC1OCA

KC1OCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a shame. Seti@home has taken a lot of data packets from Arecibo and worked them on home computers. I got in in Seti@home classic a few months after they got started. :-(

N2IPH/SK2022 likes this.